Ch 40: The Rise of Clovis

The ship landed as Master Yoda greeted us with temple guards.

"Master Yoda" Padme said.

"We weren't expecting such a formal welcome, master" Anakin said.

"A personal request of the chancellors, my escorting you was, Senator Amidala" Yoda said. "Adventures you have had on Scipio, hmm?"

I looked away as Yoda honed his eyes on me.

"Have you met Rush Clovis?" Padme asked.

"Met, we have, yes" he said. "Intrigued we are, by your return to Coruscant. Much distrust is focused upon you."

"I understand but I hope to right the wrongs that I have done" Clovis said.

"Delay, we must not" he said.

I stood amongst the other members of the Jedi Council as we met in the chancellors chambers.

"Excuse me if I find it hard to trust you, Clovis" my uncle said. "You used to sit on this very Senate even as you funneled credits into the droid factories of Count Dooku."

"I understand all of your trepidation, but there is corruption in the banks" Clovis said.

"And once we find this corruption?" He asked.

"I believe the ones responsible should be ousted from control before the entire banking infrastructure collapses" Clovis said.

"Oh and I suppose you're the man to do it" Anakin said.

"I only want the Banking Clan to be what it once was, a fair system of trade and commerce" he said. "I came here to root out the criminals and reveal the truth behind what is happening."

"Now, now" the chancellor said. "We are grateful for you bringing us this information, but what exactly can you prove?"

"These files show that huge funds have been diverted out of the banks and into what I believe are private accounts" he said grabbing the disc from his pocket.

"And the veracity of this information?" My uncle asked.

"I was the one who downloaded the files from the Muuns' secure mainframe" Padme said. "I believe that what Clovis is saying is correct."

"As do I" I said. "I was there for everything."

"Then, Senator Amidala, I would like you to spearhead this investigation" the chancellor aaid. "Along with you, Master Organa."

"I don't think that's really something I should be apart of, I was just simply stating a fact" I said. "I'm sure I'm needed elsewhere."

"Work closely with Rush Clovis and find and expose these secret accounts" he said. "Once we know exactly what we are dealing with then we can decide how best to handle this.. situation."

I walked alongside Anakin as he yanked my arm back.

"Why didn't you just say no?" He asked.

"Did you not hear me back there?" I asked. "I said I didn't think that was necessary, Padme could do this all by herself and he completely disregarded that."

"I don't want you working with Clovis" he said.

"You don't want me working with him?" I said.

"A serpent can shed its skin but it is still a serpent" he said.

"Oh my- I'm done with all of this right now" I said. "You act as if we are to be alone? Padme will be there. Trust my judgment just once, will you."

"Like last time, hmm?" He said. "When you almost ended up dead? Or how about you getting arrested?"