chapter eighteen : the black palace

Timothee 

I walked pass by Hailee who's on her way out of the hospital, I had the thought of asking her about something but I knew i'd be better off if we don't talk about it here where Charlie is around. But I couldn't help but to feel guilty for what I did, making a deal with Hailee to save Charlie was my only option. 

She never liked me, and I don't wanna force her. 

Her life would be better with her, but as the weeks go by I am starting to have suspicions that Hailee didn't want her the way I expected her to, it was obvious that she likes her. And I couldn't sit down knowing I have no power over taking Charlie back after the mistake I did. I shouldn't have made a deal, there was so many ways I could've helped her. 

It surprised me how Charlie was able to take the mask off Hailee, I knew she was never the person to sit down and talk to someone who she just met. But Charlie must've felt different, even to me she was. Though she's been through so much, she still manage to be the girl that everyone wishes they are, her only flaw being born into her family, the rest of her is a blessing. 

I know I am doing everything i can for Charlie, but it's never enough after what I did. She's gonna find out eventually and hold this on me for who knows how long, I didn't wish her to understand me, she's probably gonna have so many questions but I'd let her throw her anger at me.

And if I am being honest with myself, there was never not a day I never not love her. If she sees me as a friend, I see her as someone more than that. I didn't wanna hurt her anymore, i didn't wanna tell her that I do like her still when it's all clear to us both that she never liked me.

"Yeah...i'd set an appointment tomorrow afternoon."

I spoke through my phone, my hands landed over my face as I rubbed it aggressively.

get it together.

It was a day and a half passed by, i insisted on making Charlie stay for a day more for further observations but she refused. She's worried about the bills and she's afraid she couldn't pay it.

She never really gets used to me, so I went to the counter and look for the bill that is needed to be paid.  But instead of seeing an empty papers, there was a named signed below and I was told it was paid a day ago.

signed by Hailee Steinfeld

I took one last glance at the paper before handing it over to the nurse, i took the chance to buy her some flowers but on my way out there was a guy holding a bunch of flowers, so I have a hunch that it was brought by Hailee.

And i was right.

He went to her room door, but I didn't stop him from getting in her room. Instead i went out to get myself a cup of coffee, the weather was getting a bit cold at this hour and I was expecting Hailee to still be working at this hour, and she never have time for small things like this but she's able to at Charlie.

And I don't know of my jealousy has a place for any of this, whatever happens between the two of them isn't my concern, i sold my friend to someone working under me, because of my own desperation.

-

Charlie

The two days i was in the hospital, I felt like a new person the moment I stepped out and the sun hit my bare skin. A little overwhelmed to find a bouquets of flowers right next to me, all of them from Timothee which is tulips my favorite one. Of course he knows it, and Hailee...

I was hoping she would have, but I guess she was too busy with work and I should've been discharged yesterday but Timothee insisted on getting me observed for another day.