chapter twenty-four : honest

"Please just deliver it to his office.."

My hands are occupied with piles of paper, it was getting hard for me to walk with these black heels on, it was my fault anyways.

I reached for the door knob and slowly clicked it open, he's sitting on his swivel chair with his index pointing to his side temple, he seemed busy with a phone call.

When he noticed my presence, he immediately put his phone beside him and gave me a smile.

"Just put them right there.."

I placed them beside his long table, it has been a week and half since i started working in his office. It's much more quiet than my usual job and it's making me feel new, maybe because my working environment change.

The excitement i have coming to work suddenly faded, it now felt like a chore that needed to be done.

"Has she called you yet?"

A week without hearing anything from Hailee, she left my phone for Timothee to pick up a few days ago, but she never said a word. Nor, her presence on social media disappeared, and me, i have decided to erase all my social media presence.

It's all the hate and comments, i would rather not read them, so better to just sit and wait. Just like what Timothee wanted me to do.

"You don't have to worry about her, she knows what she's doing and she'll probably be back soon...but i have no idea when."

He rested his hands above his chin.

"Timothee, can i ask you something?"

"Anything.."

"Is there any way for Hailee to solve this?"

He let out a heavy sigh before leaning his back on his swivel chair, while his arms are crossed resting on his chest.

"I believe if she finds another way then she'd be fine, if not then....she has to do the conference.."

"She's holding it back, for a certain....reason.."

 his eyes on me, my eyebrows curved upwards in his gesture.

"And what do you think that reason is?"

He avoided his contact with me, biting the inside of his cheeks, he immediately changed the topic to what lunch we should have and I agreed to go along with his flow, the two of them have been secretive with me from the very start but I trust them both, but a part of me is starting to question Timothee.

"I'd do anything to keep you safe.."

Keeps replaying in my head, am I the reason why she's leaving at night? Or was it because of the contract between the two of them? 

"Charlie? Are you okay..."

I've been staring at the glass window behind him for a couple of minutes now.

"Of course...i'd go back with your coffee, sir.."

I gave him a faded smile before exiting his office, on the way out, i noticed a few eyes on me and i was used to it. They've been staring at me like i did a crime that cost someone's life, it has been a talk for quiet a while now and I couldn't help but to bury my face on my arms and hide.

Hailee just disappeared after that, I didn't have any contact with her and even Mace don't know where she is. Though she's been showing up to work once in a while, but she has been distant lately, it was the last thing I heard about her.