chapter thirteen : stuffed toy

Hailee and I haven't said a word in each other ever since we left the apartment, just pure awkward silence till one of the twins makes a gibberish sound.

The two of them buckled up in a safety seat while I tried to keep the tension down between the two of us, i don't understand her at all. But how do I say i feel the same? I make her nervous and she makes me nervous.

I think it's better if I just sit down and stay quiet just like what she wants me to do, she's good at doing that anyways.

She took the twins out of the car, taking their strollers down right after. I have Apollo on my arms this time and Keith on hers as we walk to the park.

It was surprisingly quiet and there were only few kids and the weather is fine today, perfect enough to be outside and lay down above the grass. There were times that we catch each glancing at one another, but I didn't wanna start a conversation with her anymore since i never like how it ends.

I have Apollo on my arms as I watch Hailee took Keith into his feet, they were both walking, her steps and pace enough to keep up with Keith's tiny legs and feet, her tall figure making it hard for her to bow down on Apollo's height but she was managing. I've never seen her this happy with a child, if this was her soft spot then she should've asked me to babysit her nephews much more often. 

Her hazel hair flew over her face back and forth as she tried to keep up with Apollo, and her adorable smile is starting to implant in my head like I wanted it to be my objective every time she's around, how come someone this pretty can be even more prettier? Or was I just checking her out too much, ah..maybe not...my heart is just insane to think that she's worth of being the center of it's attention. She was intimidating enough when she stands right next to me, but how come being nervous around her makes me feel alive.

"come on Keith, let's walk around too?"

I took his hands and lead him in front of me as I held his hands above his head, both of us stopped in a game stall where we have to shoot balls in the net to get a prize, and Keith has already picked his prize, so I have to do my best to give him that.

"A dollar for 3 shots."

The guy on the stall spoke, I gave him a dollar before he started the ball rolling. 

"you won't stand a chance with that posture.."

I was aback when Hailee came, she has Apollo right next to her, her sunglasses and cap is on like she was hiding from people to see her. 

"get the kid, i'd do the shot."

She gave me Apollo, the two kids stood right next to me as they cheered.

"aylee! ayleee!"

Keith cheered, both of the twins held each others hands as they cheered for their auntie. 

Hailee breathed out before dribbling the ball on the solid ground, I watched her take the first shot and it was a goal, thinking she wouldn't be able to do the rest but she was surprisingly confident and was able to shoot the last two shots. She didn't even broke a sweat, I rolled my eyes playfully when she shrugged her shoulders off proudly.  

Tsk, her ego is already fed enough, I wouldn't stand here and praise her. 

"come on Apollo, look at this.."

She took the two smaller bears instead of the giant one, for the twins individually. 

I took the one for Keith, he gladly hugged the bear and gave me a kiss on the cheek, my heart almost melted but of course Hailee has to ruin it. 

"Hey! how come she gets a kiss and I don't?"

I took Keith towards her to give her a kiss as well, her gaze met mine as Keith leans in to kiss her. It was like she was trying to dart me with those beautiful brown eyes of hers. I quickly looked away when Keith pulled away. 

The sun was almost down, the company of nature killed the time, the sound of my phone buzzing killed the moment. It was Timothee and he said he's in front of Hailee's apartment to pick me up. 

"did you two got tired?"

I yawned, we didn't do much but taking care of the kids was tiring enough. 

Apollo and Keith shook their heads no, I chuckled as I bring the two of them back into their strollers since carrying them is getting harder by the minute. 

I followed Hailee, neither of us is still saying a word until the game, I was instructed to get by the car so we can go home since I still have work by tomorrow. I looked over the twins who were both busy playing with their new bears. 

"I'd put the kids in the back."

She popped out of nowhere, almost startled me as she took the kids off their strollers and back to their safety seats, her arms are too muscular and her veins are too visible everytime she carries one of them. 

Once the door at the back was shut, she made sure the airconditioner is open. 

"So he's picking you up?"

I nod my head, trying not to start another conversation with her especially when Timothee is involved.

"see you tomorrow at work then, 5am sharp."

She tapped her watch.

"don't worry, i'd be there in time for sure."

I told her, I opened the shotgun seat door when she took my forearm. Her warm hands is shaking a little bit that sent goosebumps all over my body. 

"actually i- i was hoping to give you this.."

She looked the other way while her arm is extending too much, to my face is a stuffed toy fish with a brown hair. My smile faded when I see how goofy it looked. 

"t-thank you.."

I took the stuffed toy from her hand hesitantly, i don't know if she's giving it to me because she wanted to or because she wanted to annoy the hell out of me. 

"they ran out of decent looking fish and this one is closer to you."

"so are you going to take it or not? I am being nice."

I sighed before taking the fish out of her hand. 

"My god, Hailee.."

I shoved the fish into my bag and got in. 

"I like it when you call me by my name."

She spoke before getting in the driver's seat.