17: Mental Darkness

Namaari entered the infirmary but didn't see Raya. She saw a healer and asked, "Excuse me, where's Raya?"

"The princess is having a bath and her wounds are being assessed and taken care of. She'll be out soon."

"How bad does she look?" asked Namaari, concern in her eyes.

"She's not the best. But don't worry Princess, Raya will be okay." 

"I hope...I'll just wait here for when she returns."

.............................................................................

Aside from Amba's light, darkness completely enveloped the forests of Heart and a feeling of anxiety settled more into the Chief. But as they walked further, he saw faint lights which meant that they had arrived at the Madilian camp. Amba flew over there and the Madilians were in awe. She landed and said, "Hello everyone, where is your leader?"

"What do you want from us?" asked Tyra in a somewhat unwelcoming tone.

"The Chief of Heart is here to speak with your leader regarding what happened with Princess Raya." replied Amba.

"Very well, I'll get her. Tell the Kumandrans to wait outside and to not enter our camp." said Tyra.

"It's okay Tyra." Said Adira, walking towards her.

She approached Amba and said, "Lead me to them."

Amba nodded and Adira followed her. A feeling of nostalgia took over her when she saw her ex-husband. She remembered how happy they were together, how much love existed in their relationship until the unexpected happened. But then, her eyes caught Zou's. She examined him for a while before gasping and smiling. After what seemed like a really long while, she finally spoke. "Zou..."

Zou gasped and walked towards her slowly. "Mother- it's really you?" 

"It is." replied Adira, her voice breaking as tears streamed from her eyes. She embraced him and Zou too got emotional. For many years of his life, he thought his mother was truly gone. Dead. But now, here she is, embracing him. After their reunion, Zou said, "So...Raya is my sister? And Vashi is my...brother?"

"Yes, they're your half siblings." replied Adira. 

Adira's heart palpitated as she faced Chief Benja. She approached him and said, "Benja...I-"

She couldn't bring herself to say anything else but the Chief held her hand and said, "I'm happy to see you. We've got a lot to talk about Adira. About Zou..."

Chief Benja was shocked that Zou was her son because here he was, contemplating whether he should introduce him as a possible suitor for Raya in the future since they had 'good chemistry'.

"I had him 2 years before you and I met. I lived in Fang...my husband at the time was very abusive to me...and threatened to kill me. I had to leave Fang but I-I didn't tell anyone. Your soldiers found me when I fainted in the forests from the journey..." explained Adira.

"So you ran from an abusive relationship? Adira, I'm a Chief and I was your husband. Why didn't you ever tell me of this? You didn't have to be where you are now. We could have been a loving family with our children. But you have a husband now, right?"

"I don't. I've never been with another man since. Weeks after I was exiled, I found out that I was pregnant...with Vashi."

Chief Benja felt nothing but guilt. Adira was banished while pregnant and could have been killed. But he couldn't do much and had to go by the law. Adira was presumed to be having intercourse with more than 1 man at the same time. To a greater extent, cheating on the Chief. But that was not true. This woman had been intensely hurt and got no justice. Her pain morphed to anger and her anger turned her vile, determined to kill.

"Adira I- I'm so sorry." said the Chief.

Adira only sighed. "It'll take a lot more than that for me to forgive Kumandra. And I'm not sorry for what we have done to Tail. They all deserve it. You all deserve it. It's my love for Raya that saved all of you tonight. The man that abused her is being held captive by us. It seemed so premature of you to make someone so young and wicked a Chief. I want to make something clear with you. I do not want to return. Just stay out of my way and we will stay out of yours."

"Adira, calm down please...we can make this right. Our family can be reunited. Raya wants this...I want it." replied the Chief.

"And so do I, mom." said Vashi.

"Me too." said Zou in agreement.

Adira's expression softened and she turned to her sons and said, "I'll have to think about all this. But we will be returning to Madilia at dawn. You're welcomed there, all of you."

"And you are welcomed in Kumandra."

"I don't want to be. I'm staying with my people. It's where I belong, Benja"

"No, you don't. You belong with your family, in an amazing home. Not out in the wild." replied the Chief.

Adira's eyebrows furrowed and she said, "My home is not 'wild'. It's my home. Maybe we can converse sometime in the future again but we'll be preparing to leave now. Zou, I'm sorry it has to be like this. But please, take care of your sister and brother."

"Mom...please reconsider. It will be such a joy to have you back.... especially with Raya" Said Zou.

"Maybe for you but others will surely want to hurt us or humiliate us. This isn't simple as it seems. All of my people were exiled. If they went back to their previous homes, I'm just jeopardizing their safety. And as the leader, I remain with my people and make the best decisions for them. I'm sorry Zou, I love you."

"Adira-"

"I don't wanna hear it Benja, goodbye." Adira hugged Zou and Vashi then looked at Benja with sadness and unshed tears in her eyes. 

She wanted to kill him- her ex-husband. For revenge. But now when a mother's love for her daughter kicked in, it changed everything. Vengeance was never what she truly wanted. She truly wanted her family but for the sake of her people, has to remain separated from them. She returned to her camp and the Chief sighed before returning to the palace with Zou, Vashi and Amba. 

...........................................................................................
Raya was very weak and had fallen asleep after her bath. Namaari stayed with her and gently stroked her back as she slept. She was there until she herself got really exhausted but then someone entered the room. It was Chief Benja. He smiled at her and said softly, "Come with me Princess, we need to talk."

Namaari obliged and went with the Chief. "So...I'm interested in hearing about how and why you're dating Raya."

"We...sort of developed feelings for each other and decided to officiate our relationship. I really love and care for Raya, just as she does for me." explained Namaari.

"Hmm I see. Let me be completely honest about how I feel Namaari. I know you and Raya are adults and you're responsible for your decisions but I'm not in favor of a same sex relationship between two royalties, I'm sorry."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
More updates soon! I hope you enjoyed this chapter