lollipops

Fuck.

"Hey Tod I'm gonna call in sick today, got summer flu," I smiled into the phone. And that's how my anxious morning went. When I got home I couldn't sleep, I couldn't function. All my nerves were on high alert trying to formulate a plan on what to do.

Even now after I ended the call the pit of dread still gripped my insides like a tuggle war in my guts. I thickly swallowed with creased brows.

I was done for.

There wasn't much to it, after not being able to sleep last night I did research on this new testing. It consisted of my poor knowledge of technology and several angry taps later on my phone but eventually squeezed the information out of it. Basically, it's a blood test, they take white blood cells and plasma or something and test it with their science tool thingys. Honestly, I don't really care about specifics. I just knew that this was going to be a disaster.

I paced the living room a few times, picking at my nails in nervous paranoia, and thought of what a tragedy this will bring. All the Esper's that have been in hiding their whole lives and never caught will be uprooted just like that.

I could feel it, this is going to be big. I could imagine everyone in town lining up as they each got their blood drawn with the military critically watching the results. Elaborate shootings and bloody massacres conjured in my head like a future warning of what's to come. I should be thankful I do not have the power to see the future and this is just my own imagination.

It'll go global, everyone will be required to have it. Soon it'll switch to newborn babies, children will be taken away. The infants will be killed.

The thing is...I'm scared. If you couldn't tell already.

But I know my fear is nothing compared to the way humans fear us. Their fear has them slaughtering Esper's like insects. Human mothers who find out their child is an Esper, kill them themselves. Sometimes I wonder if maybe humans are more monsters compared to us. There are nice humans out there, I know, I've been around some my whole life and never even met another Esper. But if Tod found out I was an Esper, his view of me would change in a heartbeat. Everyone I've ever met would want to kill me or fear me.

I ran a hand down my face giving a long deep sigh. I don't know what to do but run like a coward. The problem with that would be every other Esper is going to get that idea. I'm not the brightest person, I have a small city mind and anything beyond the horizon is a bit muddled since I've stayed in a cave for so long.

I can't just become a sitting duck but I also can't make it obvious. If I suddenly disappeared, that's making it obvious.

Hating having to think so much I decided to make some food and do some chores to distract me. Unconsciously pulling the water out of the faucet and putting it in a glass without even looking. Drinking a couple of sips I yanked the freezer open, a bunch of frozen meals, it'll have to do for now. Popping one into the microwave I began to gather my laundry into the tub as I wait for my meal. Taking some water out I began wetting the clothes to the degree I can wring water out of their seams.

Satisfied I opened the cap to the detergent and poured some on the clothing mixing it all evenly.

With the microwave's beep, I got up, still swishing the water around like a washing machine in the tub.

You may not have noticed by now or perhaps you have. But I manipulate water.

I'm what the media calls a manipulation Esper apparently. But The truth is I don't even know much about myself even having lived as myself well...my whole life. I didn't get the best education and mainly learned from the people around me. Society is usually quiet about the topic of "Espers" but not enough to express their hate for them for centuries. The science behind Espers, or how humans categorize our existence, I only know the bare minimum or perhaps less.

I can control water without looking at or touching it. It was as easy as the flow of a stream or simply breathing. Occasionally I bring bad weather as well. My brain unconsciously uses it as if it were another limb. Having to hide another limb is just as hard as it sounds. But ever since I was young I suppose I always knew to keep it a secret, maybe someone who I don't remember had told me to never show it. I don't know, my childhood is mostly of blurs, I would be in one home from the next, and then the next, and so on and so forth, I don't know nor remember my origin. It's probably best to not recall if my brain blocks it out it's with good reason.

The second round of beeps from the microwave pulled me from my daze. I trudged to the small box above my oven and fluidly put on a mitten taking the tv dinner out. I pulled out the only kitchen chair I owned and turned on the tv mixing the mashed potatoes into the Salisbury steak gravy. It wasn't exactly appetizing and the smell was a little off but it could do for now. Anything to distract me.

The tv played some old black and white film I didn't care to know the name of, the noise was relaxing. My tongue burned from the first bite, the second bite as well. A loud colorful commercial sidetracked me with its hues and soon I was enthralled in the television like a bug to a flame.

You have to run away Shiloh.

I clenched my jaw and eyes shut. My appetite soured and I couldn't bring myself to eat another bite of the plastic food.

Where to? Where will I go...? I looked at the picture frame on the wall of the ocean I got from some thrift store. Well, I'd always wanted to go visit the sea. I shook my head and decided to be more logical. I packed a light bag with all the necessities that I'd need for a good start to disappear if the time ever calls for it. I can't just leave, I don't know what will happen with the new technology so I have to wait it out and observe.

This could be a scam for all I knew and god knows how many I've fallen for in my 20 years. The biggest scam yet is probably the foster care system after all.

I sighed, I just have to wait it out. It'll be over in no time, act normal.

Act like there isn't a target on your head. Act like the world doesn't hate you. Act like a human.

You've always been good at it.