rainbows

The road was bare and not a soul was in sight. Typically on my way to my home, no one goes down my road often. So of course I sped a little, just a tiny bit. And of course, there just happened to be a cop hiding in an old parking lot shrouded by trees.

Dammit, I pulled over to the side as the red and blue lights flickered on my mirrors. The officer came up all smug and did the usual protocol.

"Having a nice day?" He asked chirpily, "Yes, you officer?"

"I'm doing fine myself." He tucked a thumb in his belt and went back to the patrol car telling me to wait. Of course, they always have to drag it out. Anxiety was eating my heart, I'm going to have heart problems before I even reach 30! 

He came back a moment later, "I see you haven't taken the SP(EsPer) test sir, I can do it right now if you're interested." 

What!? "No no I'm fine," I frantically denied the favor.

He gave a sigh as if he was helpless, "I'm afraid it's the standard protocol now don't worry it'll just be a prick of your finger, I got band-aids."

"..."

This guy was full of bullshit, using his authority on innocent people. This can't be legal, but denying it will get the cop's suspicions. 

He opened an alcohol pack and took out a white square, then he held out his hand asking me silently to give him a fingertip. My heart was in my ears and impulse decisions were brewing under feeble false sanity.

The more I didn't give him my hand the more he would become cynical of me. I reluctantly gave him my finger and the prick was nothing to the ringing that followed the needle pain. Following the initial prick, a crimson marble was quickly soaked up by dry cotton. "That's all there is to it," the officer smiled and graciously slapped a hello kitty band-aid on my pointer. "Wait right here," he left back to the patrol car. 

Things appeared in slow motion. A reckless plan was forming, all I could think of was that I was ready for this. I had my packed bag in the back, and even withdrawaled a few thousand dollars in cash just in case. The officer hadn't even given me my ticket yet, if I drove off now I would be a fugitive, but I'd be one anyway because of the results that were surely processing behind me. I can't stay here.

I took a deep breath and changed my gear to reverse, I had to turn around because this is a one-way. I need to get to the highway at least. 

I breathed out and hastily revved my car out of there. I completely blocked anything that wasn't the road out of my mind. I could have heard the sirens of the cop's car if I wasn't so focused on driving. heavy rain blurred the windows but somehow I made it to the highway, on my way to an unknown destination.

I abandoned my life just like that. It was hanging on by a thread, all the acts and fixing cars is over. I can't talk to Tod and his goons anymore. I thought I could live my life normally, becoming a fugitive wasn't something I ever thought could happen. But here we are anyway.

The roads were slick with rain and I had slowed down. The radio was broadcasting news of Esper children being taken into custody and several other crimes of high level Esper's causing commotion. It had been a while since the news crashed onto me like this.

Why does it seem like the radio doesn't play music anymore? 

I drove for a full day and night having gotten gas several times and even throwing away my phone in some river. They can track that after all, I also needed a new car or someplace to stay while I abandoned it. It's probably all over the news, every cop having my description. 

I'm so tired, I'm running on gas station chocolate-covered peanuts and energy drinks. The window was open and a breeze was sweeping in, the rain having stopped along the journey at some point. The sky had giant white clouds with a nice blue I enjoyed. Soon a salty wet breeze was at my fingertips, my eyes lit up. Going over a large hill the trees broke and a massive body of water with no end of sight brushed my eyes. 

I slowed to a stop and parked my car on flat dirt a little ways from the road. I grabbed my bag and took one last look at my car, deciding to leave it there I hiked the small mountain. The terrain had large rocks and lush greenery. I wanted to get down to the sandy bank down below to view the ocean better. I couldn't see the road anymore and half the day was drained away once more. Exhausted but having found the brake line to the isolated beach, I felt exhilarated when my sneakers sunk in the pebbles. 

I took off my shoes and socks, sat my bag down, and instantly lulled. The sand was warm under my toes. The clouds gave enough shade to block out dreaded sun rays and the cold water gave a breeze that caressed lightly my exposed skin. I used my duffle as a pillow, the sand as my mattress, beginning to slip away comfortably.

This is what I always imagined the ocean to be like. It was like being hugged in the coziest embrace.