and

Bang! A thunderbolt shook the old workshop. Rain licked the window in its downpour. The cold of the shower naturally subdued the humid heat. 

Tod swiped sweat off his forehead looking at the roof. I could easily guess the kind of comment he was going to make.

"It's raining cats and dogs and probably birds too," there it was. The comment I knew would just come right out. I smiled, although my nerves were high. Recently the news about 'you know what' has even made it into conversation in the shop. That's how you know it's big news.

A bright flash of lightning and a boom later rattled the small window. I was munching on crackers while my stomach twisted. I've been so stressed lately it's hard to keep my heart steady. It was just me and Tod in the shop today. Lately, the shop hadn't been busy, with the storm that's been ranting for a couple of days now there wasn't much business for tire repairs or oil changes.

The weather was like a blanket for me though, I felt reassured by its presence and almost comforted. But at the same time, it's a reminder of what I hide.

"You hear son..." Tod paused forcing me to acknowledge him with a hum. "Apparently the state sent Esper tests, distributed to the hospitals. I even hear they're going to have "mandatory" tests next month." 

The bad news had my nerves rolling. It was as if the world wanted to truly spite me.

"Oh.." was all I could spit out.

"What if I come out as an Esper though? I don't trust it," I could barely hear Tod's paranoia ramblings above my own scrambled thoughts. "So...you have to take it? Will they give you a sticker to wear saying your Esper tested from now on or something?" I questioned in Tod's silence. I honestly did want answers. Will they take you on the spot? Do more testing? Have an anesthesia needle ready for any Esper that happens to take the test willingly?

"I suppose it'll be more like the flu shot, you can't make things mandatory without people getting antsy anyway."

That somehow made me more frightened. Because I might not get it but countless families would bring their children to get the Esper test as just another checkmark on their child shots list. 

I took a sharp breath, I couldn't breathe. Something lumped in my throat. The sudden emotion attacked me, I wanted to tell Tod I was going to the bathroom but I knew if I even said a word I'd break down. So instead I just waved my hand as I curved in the direction of the bathroom. Whilst there I held the counter squeezing my eyes shut and willing the thoughts and emotions away until I remained normal.

You got this, if you keep doing this you're going to become suspicious. I know you don't love yourself to protect your small life, you think too much about others. You can't protect everyone, think about yourself.

No one can predict the future anyway, it probably won't happen. I calmed myself down enough and went back to cleaning tools. 

As my shift was about to end Tod threw me a mountain dew while he popped a beer can open. Moments like these would typically be shared in blistering heat, not on a rainy day. But I didn't think much and cared for the gesture. We both sat on collapsible armchairs that had been moved into the shop and talked. 

Useless banter about new movies and tv shows, sports, and his kids. One was really into video games and Tod explained how the kid's birthday was coming up and how he got him five video games he thinks he'd like. Even asked me for my opinion which, I couldn't give him much. I didn't play really.

"You've got to be an old soul with the way you live your life. Kids like you I don't see often. Do you eat wheat cereal?" I had a good laugh at that, jokingly jabbing back at his mug collection.

I thought it was about time to go and stood up. "You know if anything's bothering you, you can tell me. I'm not gonna laugh at a foot fetish." I was at a loss for words, does he know somethings up?

He's suspicious.

A jolt of anxiety had my brain reeling with thoughts that he knew I was an Esper or something.

"Of course, I'm gonna head out, have a good night." I played it off as best I could and after that my days were filled with well...filler. I stayed away from the media, avoided drama in the shop, and eventually, things became normal again. 

Although paranoia and overthinking followed me everywhere, things felt ordinary. When I went to the store everyone did their thing still, and somehow that made me unsettled. 

Three months later I was pulled over and the fragile peace broke like a de la Rosa mazapan.