15. A MEMORY

"Are you okay, Sam?" He had asked softly in that velvety, deep voice. At that moment Sam had incoherently spoken something to the lines of I am fine. He took that hand and got up. Noah had helped him dust away the dirt on his knees. Sam had blushed till his ears from being in this close proximity of his crush.

"You were here for the doughnuts, right?" Noah had asked.

"Y-Yeah." Sam hated how his voice sounded like a dying parrot. He fiddled with the corners of his large hoodie. Oh god, he could die of embarrassment.

"Here, "Noah put out a box of doughnuts that had almost half a dozen of them. Sam looked at him bewildered. Was he really giving something so tasty like this away?

Noah was taken aback by the way Sam had stared at him and had blushed a little.
"A friend wanted them but we had some extras. You can have them." The boy had added, averting his eyes.

Sam had hesitantly taken the bag, not quite focused because it was too much to take him. He could still remember the way he felt shivers when their fingers had touched.

Sam had wanted to pay him back but Noah didn't let him.

"It's okay Sam. These are for you," Noah had smiled adorably.

So unlike any other normal person who would smile back and thank him, Sam had dashed out of the cafeteria in the middle of the conversation because his heart was about to explode any second by the way it was pounding in his chest in Noah's presence. He couldn't even say a simple thank you.

Wow, way to embarrass yourself in front of your crush!

Sam had to avoid Noah the next day because it was too embarrassing to face him after running off like that. That was so rude of him but he couldn't face the boy after what he did. He didn't have the heart to.

Sam shook his head embarrassingly at the memory. Noah definitely must have thought he was weird. Who wouldn't? Maybe that's why he didn't have any friends.

Dark days those were.

But surprisingly he met quite a lot of people today. Though one of them was acting like an asshole, others were pretty fine and most importantly, he got a doughnut all to himself.

So. No fated mate but a doughnut, huh?

Was this his destiny? To meet a doughnut? He didn't mind if it was. Who needs a boyfriend when you can have a doughnut?

Sam had his priorities. Food above everything.

He left the booth after thanking Natalie, who asked him to visit the cooking club anytime he wished.

Sam was smiling at the box throughout his way out. He would find a nice, comfy place, which was not swarming with annoying humans and would eat his delicious doughnut there.

Yes, a perfect ending to the exchange day!

Though he was low-key disappointed that he could get a boyfriend, he was high-key happy that he got the doughnut instead. It was a fair deal, to be honest, but still, something felt missing.