17. THE FIFTH EXCHANGE

Hannah had told him that the exchanges shouldn't be in the form of currency. If he were to violate this rule, then the fates may get angry and refuse to work.

However, if he didn't help Mr Eye Candy, he was going to get an earful from his girlfriend and what if they have a huge fight over it and what if that leads to their break up? All because Sam was too selfish to hand to hand over the doughnut!

Would Sam live with that regret in his heart for the rest of his life? No!

After a minute of wrestling between his thoughts, Sam sighed defeatedly. His good side won.

If his love life was nonexistent, it didn't mean that he had to spoil it for others too.

"Take it." He said, dying inside. He held his hand out but when Mr Eye Candy began to take it away from him, his hand refused to loosen the grip.

It's for a good deed, he reminded himself again and this time his body decided to cooperate.

He gave the box away.

"Thanks, man," Mr Eye Candy smiled in relief. "Just a minute, I'll pay for it real quick."

Sam waved his hand in the air, "No, I don't need the money. Um… do you have something else that you can exchange me with."

The boy gave him a confused look. Of course, he didn't have anything on him. Except for the fancy clothes he was wearing and Sam wasn't desperate enough to ask him for that. That would be so… inappropriate.

"Nevermind, just pay me whatever the doughnut costs," he said instead, wanting the exchange to end as soon as possible. It was embarrassing to be there anymore.

"Here you go," the other boy thrusted a one-dollar note. Sam took it. "Thanks again, bud. You really saved me." He smiled and patted Sam's shoulder before leaving. "See you around, Sam."

Sam watched him go away. Or one could say, Sam watched his ex-doughnut being carried away. His heart cried tears of self-hate.

Wait, how did he know his name? It wasn't like he was popular or anything. Whatever.

Biting his lip with disappointment in fate, he walked slowly with the bill in his hand.

Was that it?

Was it the end of the exchange day for him?

What a disappointment! He didn't even get to meet his fated boyfriend. All he had now was a one-dollar bill in his palm.

He was back to where he had started.

Did anything even change?

Yeah, he met a lot of people throughout the day. People who were nice and sweet. He almost felt like he had friends. Maybe they would be his friends. Maybe some of them have already become his friends.

It was a special day, to say the least.

Troublesome? Yes, but filled with new experiences.

"What am I supposed to do with just one dollar?" He mumbled to himself with a pout.

He turned around the corner, thinking of what to do when he was in front of a rather large booth.

Baby pink coloured cardboard walls set around the podium showed silhouettes of couples kissing; girl and boy, girl and girl, boy and boy. Large lips were painted in all shades of colours and a banner hung up above the lines of customers and fundraisers.

The kissing booth.