Chapter 2

I felt at peace finally. Laying my head on a soft cloud as I couldn't help but rub my head deeper in the cloud. My body wasn't cold anymore as I feel like I'm floating on cloud 9. No noises around me but a low far out voice. Like humming if you can imagine. Simply & low by my ears as I didn't want to let go of the warmth I've been trying to get. I feel safe.

Before I knew it, I heard a door closing loudly as my eyes opened up. I'm laying in bed with heavy blankets on me. I didn't move so fast as I let my vision return first. The light is dim yet I'm able to see where I'm at. I'm Inside of somebody's home. I took my time breathing, taking my time on my vision, & get the strength I have now to sit up. I seen a small table with clothes all folded. A old iron stove next to the corner of the small living room. A small black pot sits as I can smell food. Making my mouth water as it gave me the extra energy to finally move the covers. I stop midway to see my hands cover in bandages as I can feel a cool tingling feeling on my fingers. I looked down to see I'm wearing a yellow long sleeve gown. They took me out of my clothes‽!‽

I pull the covers off of me completely to see my legs cover in bandages as well. Wearing thick gray socks. I can still feel toes & the same cool tingling feeling as I try to calm myself down from this discovery. Some bathed me, dress me, & care for my freezer burns. Seeing my bookbag next to the fire place & my boots, I see they even move the bed close to the fire place. The windows are all cover up with plastic to keep the cold out. But I can hear the wind outside blowing heavy as the fire dances.

"I'm Inside of a cabin" I said to myself.

My  voice was dry yet I can taste cough medicine between my teeth. Nasty taste.
I turn to finally stand up from bed to be pulled back after feeling a sharp pain under my feet. Like I stepped on glass. That woke me up completely as I took a deep breath to try again. This time I place both my feet down on the ground as the pain alerted my whole body to shake.

"It's alright. It's ok. You just haven't been moving. You got this!" I said to myself as I took my time walking.

Felt like a toddler walking for the first time  as I walked over to the fridge next to the table. I open it up to see the light coming on, making me shut my eyes. I look again as I couldn't believe what I'm seeing. Power.
Inside was nothing my water bottles & jugs of it as they were all cold. I quickly open the freezer to see frozen meats wrap up nearly & kitchen knives. I closed the door fast as I had to get a hold of myself. This is all to good to be true. Too good. After years of being betrayed & seeing how people will do anything for food, this person or group could be dangerous. Probably working for that gang that's took over the city miles from here.
I remember hearing how they'll give you food or a place to stay if you sell off children or women. They don't even have to be your child your giving away.
The last group I was in before I left was being suspicious when people was *leaving* without saying a word. Especially leaving their belongings behind. The woman I came there with wasn't seen for 2 days as she told me to hold onto her blood pressure medication. That & seeing more can goods being shared. Being the noise people as I am, I went around to get information. They didn't have enough food to give out, yet we somehow found tons of can goods that aren't frozen? Women & children coming up missing & nobody can't say a word about it either? Red flags all over. I left in the middle of the night the same day when we were given extra food. One of the man asked for my name. Lied & said it was Lisa or something. I can't forget him whispering my ear as thinking of it now gives my chills.

"Wanna share a bed with me tonight? I promise to give you a hot meal tomorrow." He said to me as I lost my appetite that day.

"I-I'll t-think about it." I told him as he smiled as if he didn't say nothing wrong.

This whole damn time out here in alone, I've never sold myself for a can of mix vegetables! I did labor for a hot meal but never sleeping around. Even if I was frozen to death, I'd never slept with another man nor woman. I have to at least have something I can control in this apocalypse.
I'm glad I left that camp. At the same time, I didn't think I would be alive here in this cabin. But the piles of burning bodies I saw, was that real? Or was that all in my head?

Thinking about all that made my head hurt as it brought me back to reality of where I'm at. I took a deep breath to calm my nerves as I walked over to bag to get my water bottle. Food smells & sounds good, but right now I need water to wash this medicine out of my mouth. I took my time drinking as I let the fire warm my body. The place was warm & it was relaxing. For a nice moment I don't wanna think about outside, my family, nor whatever else is there out there. I'm safe, I'm warm, & I'm still here.

I wanted to sit by the fireplace but I know it'll be hell getting back up since my feet hurts like hell. I place my bottle back in my bag as I walked by a door right next to the bed. I open it up to see a full size bathroom.  A large blue barrel in the corner by the sink, a large white tube in the middle as the toilet on my right. I'm guessing they have fresh water in the barrel. I closed the door & turn to the hallway past the small living room. I only seen 3 doors as one of them was left open. I peeked in to see nothing my books, boxes, furniture, & junk as far as I can see with the little light I can see. I try the other door on my right but that was lock. The last door in front on me had chains on it. A heavy lock that needs a key to it. I can see a small dim light inside, but no sound.

I didn't try to call out for anyone since I don't have the energy to talk to them.
I walked back to the stove since the food ketp toying with me with its smells.
I took the lid off to see it was baked beans & cut up meat in it. The smell of BBQ made my mouth water even more as I grab a black spoon from the sink. Carefully I scoop up a nice spoonful amount as I took my time eating it. Bean by bean as I felt my eyes watering up. I haven't eaten a warm meal in almost 2 years since I left the first or second camp. Been eating nothing but cold soups or SpaghettiOs. Even ain't mold bread just to have something in me.

Right now at this spot, I've never thought I be crying over a pot of beans. I scoop up another set of beans as I try to look outside the window. My mind at this point is my own safe space as I see myself back at home with my family. My dad getting ready to set up the grill as me & my mama prepared the meat & vegetables, while my brother run to the store to get some buns & a case of cola. It was the 4th of July if I remember correctly.

I snap back to reality when I bite my tongue. I didn't realize I ate almost all of it. Tears still running down my face yet I feel my insides warm & full. I didn't have the energy to panic about the pot so I closed the lid & cleaned the spoon off with my mouth with what left of the sauce. Just a small bowl size of beans filled me up. I used to eat up a whole large pizza with a liter root beer. Had enough room for ice cream too!
Now, just eating a small can of soup can keep me full for a whole day. I be lucky if I eat 2 cans in a day.

As I was walking back to the bed, from the corner of my eye I thought I saw a image in the window by the front door.
My heart began to race for a second as I shook it off.

"You're safe now. It's all in your head. Go to sleep & we'll move on from there." I told myself softly.

I gotten back into the king size bed as I place back the thick covers on me. After eating, I felt myself sleepy. Usually been out here I don't get tried like that.
Maybe it's because I haven't rest correctly in a while.
I know in my mind that I'm in danger & need to leave. At the same time, I gave up when I fell down from the hill. Maybe this is just a small haven I made up in my mind as I'm burned up in the fire.

I left those thoughts alone as I felt myself getting sleepy. Took a long yawn, held onto the large soft pillow, & snuggle my face into it. I slowly went into another dreamless sleep.

I hope the owner don't get mad at me for eating their meal.