Chapter 6

Didn't realize time has past after what few like a hour or so. I completely forgot about reading that book Dill picked out for me. But talking to another person & making jokes in these hard times is refreshing. For a moment, you can say it felt like a normal day. Like going over to a friend's house or meeting up with a blind date at a coffee shop. Dill is actually sweet once you get to know him. His jokes can be pretty dark, but I like that he's not worried about the future as much as I do. Which I need to stop to be honest. Even before the apocalypse started, I always thought of my future & how bright it was gonna be. I had my ups & downs with bullying & losing friends, my parents wasn't perfect but they was there for me & my brother no matter what, he was always there for me.. Just thinking about it again, I was pretty lucky to have a life like that. I hated my job but who doesn't? If I knew the world went silent, I would've spent all my money on things I wanted to do instead of saving it for emergencies since my retirement funds is a fat joke. But now, all I do is survive & not get killed.

   As I open my eyes, I felt a soft surface on me while I felt a cool breeze on my skin. I'm still in the library room as it seems I fell asleep on the couch. The orange blanket is on me as the heat was still on. The door was still open as a dim light was glowing in the hallway. Dill must had to leave since I'm alone at the moment. I'm still a little sleepy but I need to use the bathroom.

Sitting up from the couch, I spotted Dill shirt roll up neatly from where I was laying. He could've just gave me a pillow instead of his shirt. I couldn't help but feel touch about it that he left it for me. I got up & stretch a little as I heard nothing but the strong wind hitting the cabin. I grab his shirt as I walk out into the hallway.
The living room was dim while the fire was slowly dying out. It's still warm as you can feel the little coolness trying to come in.
The oven was on as you can smell something cooking. Wasn't strong with the scent but you can smell that meaty scent.

But what gotten my attention the most was a sleeping Dill in bed as he softly snores. Hugging his pillow tightly while tucked in under the blankets like a child.

I walked by the fireplace & toss two logs into the dying fire while feeling the heat.
Seeing Dill like that makes me wonder how he did things on his own. They say a group makes things easier for one another but for Dill not liking people is another story. Which I don't blame him since some people can be petty. Even nice people can't do anything but stay on the side with criminals just to have a safe spot to call home.
But for myself, I keep thinking to myself that I know Dill from somewhere. The more I look at him closer, the better the memory is coming back to me.

I couldn't help myself but watch him sleep peacefully. Seeing some sleeping pills by his nightstand is questioning if he been having problems sleeping. Has it been rough because I'm here & taking care of me too. Maybe I should make him some coffee & help him with the bodies outside. I'll feel sick about it but I'll get over it once I'm use to it. I think Dill was like that as well. I pull the chair over by his bed side as I sat there looking at him.

Getting a better look at his face was a lot better since he's out cold. I gently brush his head & fix his eyebrows. I lean in & kiss his head as I continue to rub his fizzy head.

"Don't hurt me Dill...... I'm begging you." I whisper.

After a while I went ahead & check the meat cooking in the oven. The fire is low as its slow roasting the chuck of meat. Must be the deer he killed. I added a few sticks, than went to the bathroom. After i finished my business, went back into the library room.
Picking up the book Dill picked for me, I began to read to myself until Dill wakes up.

I turn back on the heated blanket as let my mind be the TV. The book is nothing more about a person finding a hunted VCR tape.
A hot ghost name Jack. Wasn't crazy at first with this book, but the chapters were getting better & better. As I was going through the chapters until a whole page was cover in red ink.