Chapter 7 - Fighting With Flips

🕷

🕷

The next morning, Gwen and Peter walked to school and Ned decided to join the two and interrogate them.

"Oh, before you start asking your questions, I have a few things to say," announced Gwen just as Ned opened his mouth. With confused nods from Peter and Ned, she started to talk. "Okay, so, I have time traveled before. This is not my universe. This is actually the third one I have been in." She quickly recounted everything in her head before nodding. "That's it."

"I'm sorry, what," Peter rushed, the stack of books in his hands threatening to fall out. He still didn't have a new backpack. "You're saying that there's a multiverse?"

"Yes."

"I thought that was just theoretical. I mean, this completely changes how we understand the initial similarity. We're talking about an eternal inflation system, and how does that even work with all the quantum?"

"Yeah. . . which means that Max Tegmark and Brian Greene's multiverse classifications are wrong," replied Gwen with an excited grin. "To mathematically prove them wrong, would be the highlight of my life."

"I go to the same school as you guys and I'm so lost," Ned mumbled with a confused face. "And you've time traveled?" he asked with disbelief

"Yeah. Three months ago, I was getting ready to go to MIT."

"So both of you got bit by a spider?" Ned asked, getting nods in return. "Can it bite me? Well, it probably would've hurt, right? You know what? Whatever. Even if it did hurt, I'd let it bite me." Ned seemed to think about it a little more. "Maybe. How much did it hurt?"

"The spider's dead, Ned," Peter sighed.

"Oh." He then turned to Gwen. "Can your spider bite me?"

"My spider's in a different universe. Sorry."

The trio stopped at the end of the street. The sight before them horrible. Police tape and barricades were all around what remained of Mr. Delmar's shop, which wasn't a lot. Rubble from the building was scattered around, the flames from the fire was forever burned onto the signs that hung on the side.

"Whoa," Ned breathed out. "You were here?"

"Yeah," Peter answered. His eyes scanned over the numerous police officers and federal agents who stood around the bank where he fought last night.

"You could've died."

The thought of Peter dying was something Gwen can't even fathom. It was something she would avoid at all costs. "No, he won't. Not when I'm around," she denied with a shake of her head.

"Do you lay eggs?" Ned suddenly asked.

Peter laughs at the absurdity of the suggestions. "What? No."

"Do you?" This time Ned asked Gwen.