Chapter 14 - Bug-People

🕷

🕷

His head was pounding; his ears were ringing, everything coming as muffled to him.

Tearing the mask off his face, Peter found himself on the sandy beaches of Coney Island. He felt over his face, wincing when sand got into his cuts. The only light around him was the fire from the crashed plane and contents, and the bright fluorescent lights of the rides around him on the pier.

He stood up, staggering a little back.

His senses told him something was out there, lurking just beyond the fire. He wasn't sure what it was, but he had his suspicions of it –

The Vulture came out of the shadows, colliding itself with Peter, sending both of them back into the sand.

Scrambling back onto his feet, Peter saw Toomes already looking at him, his head tilted to the side in mock innocence. Sparks flew off from the mechanical wings; it was clear that the wings suffered some serious damage too.

"Hey, Pedro," Toomes greeted like Peter was an old friend they would meet at a bar or grocery store.

The Vulture lunged at Peter, the teen diving forward in a roll to escape the metal claws. He turned around to shoot a web at the wings, but missed, his aim still shot from the crash.

Peter got pinned to the ground by the metal claw, the talons digging into his chest. He could feel some blood spill out from his chest and into the red fabric of his homemade suit. He screamed out in pain.

Toomes kept sending punch after punch at Peter's face.

After the fifth, Spider-Man caught the hand, crushing it under his strength.

In an effort to lose Peter, Toomes shot up into the sky.

Using his strength, Spider-Man opened the talons of the claw, yelling when he felt the metal remove itself from his chest. He began to free fall when he shot a web out at Toomes, keeping himself from landing back on the sand at a high velocity.

A dance commenced in the air above the sand of Coney Island. When the Vulture would go one way, Spider-Man would flip around to the opposite side, keeping his distance while still being close enough to be a nuisance to Toomes.

Eventually the exhaustion Peter felt from everything came crashing down because when Toomes lunged at him again, his reaction slowed by a fraction of a second. That small difference gave enough time for Toomes to send Peter towards the ground.

Peter landed face first into the sand, a apined grunt leaving his lips.

He tried to get back up, only for the Vulture to land on his back, crushing his lungs with his weight. Toomes picked Peter up with his claws, jumping up only to land back down on the ground – on Peter. He did that again, and again, and again.

Peter managed to roll himself onto his back, peering up at the sky in exhaustion.

Sending a singular talon, he plucked a limp Peter up from the ground by the Spider-Man hood, examining him with a curious eye before his gaze went past Peter and to the only unbroken crate in the background.