Chapter 12 - Ned and Gwen Have Fun Together in a Computer Lab

🕷

🕷

"Hey."

"Hey," replied Liz.

Peter looked behind him, back at the boy's bathroom he just came out of then back at Liz. "I thought you had Calculus fifth period," he commented. He remembered that Gwen also had Calculus fifth period. It was something he never realized he stored in his mind.

Liz shrugged casually. "Yeah, I was just doing some homecoming stuff."

He took a few steps forward. "Hey, look, I, uh . . . I just wanted to apologize about the whole Decathlon thing. I really—"

"It's fine." She sent him a reassuring smile. "Last week, Decathlon was the most important thing, but then I almost died."

"No," he argued. "I-I just mean that . . . it was not cool, especially . . ." He sighed heavily through his nose, his eyes flickering up to her brown eyes. "Because, I like you."

Liz had to fight to keep the smile off her face. "I know."

Peter opened his mouth, then proceeded to close it, unable to think of something to say back. "You . . . you do?" he somehow managed to say.

She let the smile form on her face. "You're terrible at keeping secrets."

Peter smiled and looked down at his feet. "Yeah, you'd be surprised." Yet again, his mind flashed back to when Gwen and Ned found out his secret. Although, he figured Gwen already knew with her being from a different dimension and all. "I, uh, I gotta get to class, but, um, I'd say we should hang out, but I'm gonna be in detention for—"

"Uh-huh." She nodded, unconvinced.

"—ever, but, um, I guess you already have a date to homecoming."

"Actually," she started, "I was so busy planning it, I never really got around to that part, so . . ." She let the end trail off, hoping that Peter was smart enough to piece together what she was implying.

"Uh, do you want to go with me?" Peter pointed to himself to further along his question.

"Yeah." Liz nodded, grinning ear to ear. "Sure."

"Really?" He then cleared his throat and brought down his voice and excitement to a normal level. "I mean, u, great. Cool."

"Cool."

Now both were smiling at each other like lovesick idiots.

Breaking it off, Peter turned around to walk back to class, only to realize he went back to the boy's bathroom. "I'm actually going that way." He smiled at Liz, and walked past her. When he turned a corner, he did a little happy dance.

When he looked up, he saw Charlie fist bump the air in celebration.

Both boys looked at each other weirdly. "Why are you out, Parker?" he asked.