Lesson #8: Go the Extra Mile

Marshmallow had learned to hate the cold.

Oh, before Season 2, she could've lived with it. She still remembered the awe she'd felt, seeing the island covered in snow for the first time. MePhone didn't have the budget to give anyone blankets back then, but she and Paintbrush and... someone else made do, huddling around a fire when it got chilly at night. Even when Marsh inevitably got sick, Paintbrush took care of her, more rough-edges than softness, but with a warm center.

But nowadays, seeing the snow and the Christmas gaiety just reminded her of the one person she didn't want to think about. Laying in the snow reminded her of the fact that MePhone certainly had the budget to give them blankets, now. In fact, all he had to do was relinquish his rule mandating that contestants couldn't go near the hotel. He chose not to, and Marsh hated that, hated it almost as much as she hated that she still got sick easily, even though she slept closer to Lightbulb's warm glow than anyone.

When Marsh heard MePhone's voice, she glared in his direction.

"Man, it's freezing out here! It's pretty suite that we have our own heated suite, huh?"

Coming from a guy who had electricity coursing through his veins, it was weak. Marsh wished he'd fall in a puddle already- though then the challenge would probably be repairing him again.

"While I appreciate the pun, sir, the coldest night of the year is rapidly approaching. There could be disastrous impacts on contestant health."

"Psh. Even if they die, I can just regenerate them."

"It would be more humane if we offered them shelter for the night," MePad continued. "The winds from the blizzard may blow them out of the range of recovery. No contestants means no ratings, sir."

MePhone startled. "Good point, MePad... I'll go speak to OJ. Go find the contestants."

⁂⁂⁂

Such is the story of the contestants' impromptu trip to Hotel OJ. Stepping inside, getting a faceful of heat and the smell of dinner, Marsh could feel herself perk up.

"Welcome to Hotel OJ, everyone!" OJ slid in front of them. "Feel free to gorge yourself at the buffet table or experience our many amenities, free of charge!"

Marsh sneezed.

"What about sleeping arrangements?" Paintbrush frowned.

"What are there, twelve of you? At the moment, we're doing renovations on the fourth floor. Not all the residents have room-mates yet, so a couple of you will have to room with them - which should be OK?"

"You know who I'm with!" Baseball exclaimed, grinning at Nickel. Suitcase glanced around uncertainly, before Balloon put a hand on her head reassuringly.

Lightbulb tackle-hugged Test Tube, while Soap and Microphone paired off with less physical contact, as they exchanged a glance that screamed 'you, me, sleepover.' Knife was done with OJ's 'six hour speech' before it even began, as he and Pickle walked in the direction of the TV.

Paintbrush wrapped an arm around Marsh, and she was suddenly relieved she wasn't alone. "So that leaves Fan with an old contestant."

OJ hummed, "Aaaaactually, I think it'd be better if you went with Fan."

Paintbrush shot Fan a dirty look. "Oh. Why?"

"Because Marshmallow's sick. It's better that you don't get sick too, with the competition and all. Actually, I have just the thing." OJ walked away, then came back pushing... something. Someone.