25. It Takes Some Getting Used To

Even the thundering of Apple's running down the hall didn't prepare Marsh for the sound of her door slamming open, and Apple shouting, later that very same confession day: "Marshmallow, I hope you're ready to have your knocks socked off!"

Marsh jumped, her hand flying to her heart. "Cripes, Apple -- you scared me half to death! Can't you knock?!"

"Sorry, sorry. It's just time for us to go on our date. If we wait, we won't have any time at all to look at the goodies. They're important!"

Marsh's eyes went to the old picnic basket she was holding. Feeling curious, she climbed off her bed. "Uh, yeah. I'm ready when you are. J-just keep your voice down. No reason to tell them about all this yet..."

Apple saluted. "You got it! We better not keep the night waiting. It's you, me, and the vast starry sky! ...Whatever 'vast' means." Apple thought about it. "You explain it on the way."

Apple's hand latched around Marsh's. Apple was walking so quick that Marsh had to practically run to keep up. 'Curse you and your long legs,' Marsh thought grumpily.

But she wasn't complaining, at least.

'I still can't believe this is happening. My first date... with Apple...'

It wasn't really a picturesque summer night by most standards. There were no lush hills, clear navy skies, or crickets. Near Purgatory Mansion, the grass was all stringy and uneven. There were spots with grass so overgrown that Marsh could get lost in it, and some where there was only nutrient-poor dirt, exposed to the cloudy heavens. There was hardly a sound other than the sound of their footsteps.

Add to that the fact that there was a hint of autumn chill to the air... and honestly, the night could have been better.

But there was a nearly-full moon, and the clouds weren't as bad as they could have been, so that was all very good.

'What could possibly be in that basket of hers? Is it food?'

Alright, maybe her pounding heart wasn't just due to running to keep up.

"This looks like the spot." Apple dropped the basket and pulled a big red and white-checkered blanket out and spread it across the little hill that she'd chosen.

'Is red and white just the only thing we had, or is it an intentional choice? ...The more I get to know her, the less sure I am...'

Apple stood back to admire her handiwork. "Alright, cool. So, Marsh, the plan's simple: we're having a vocabulary lesson tonight."

"...What?"

Apple pulled a massive notebook out of the basket. "You're going to teach me some new words under the beautiful, beautiful moon."

"Wait a second. So, you want to do work on our first date? Learning definitions of words?"

"Nah, the new words'll come naturally, unless you want to work at it. And then we'll stare at the sky!"

"You mean we'll stargaze."

"Hmm, is that what they call it now? Anyway, that'll be what you do."

Marsh raised an eyebrow. "...A-and you'll be...?"

"I'll be pretending to stare at the sky, but instead I'll be staring at you because you're cute and irresistible!"

'...She actually just said that. Just... Wow.' Marsh tried to think of a response, but nothing came to her except blushing. Apple grinned toothily. 'She's gonna kill me. Hardly a minute into the night and I have no clue what to even say to that.'