22. Be Prepared to Forgive Dumb Mistakes

"Gee, Marsh, I didn't know you could sew!"

Marsh looked up with a start. Apple was staring intently at her over the arm of the fluffy library chair. She wondered vaguely how long she'd been there.

"This is actually knitting," Marsh pointed out politely. "Knitting involves making yarn into fabric, while sewing is getting two pieces of fabric together."

Apple blinked, as if unable to process it. Marsh sighed. "It's a pretty useless hobby, isn't it?" Marsh sighed as she tried to get the loop right; it seemed to want to pull, for some reason or another.

"Nah, it's super cool. You could fix the holes in all the blankets, or make new curtains, or, ohhh, you could make an adorable striped Christmas sweater for yourself: red and white, just like a candy cane!"

Marsh giggled. "...Yeah, you don't get it. I'm not sure I could do all that, though... I'm way out of practice."

"Still, check out all these mittens you made! They're soooo cool!" Apple put one on each hand and put the other one over her stem.

"It gets cold around here when winter comes, and I for one will NOT be caught off guard."

"And you're sewing enough for both of us. You're so awesome, you know that?"

Despite Apple's utterly uncharming (...okay, maybe a LITTLE bit charming) confusion between two entirely different hobbies, Marsh blushed and grinned. "U-um... Anyway! Didja need something?"

"Uh, I forget."

"Oh. ...How long were you there for?"

A nervous laugh. "I dunno. Maybe... three minutes? Whatever a minute is."

Marsh raised an eyebrow. "...Knitting's not exactly interesting. Do you have a reason why?"

"-Only 'cause it's the greatest hobby ever known to man, of course!" Suddenly Bow was there, floating from the bookshelf behind them. "You're like the world's youngest old woman, I swear."

"I'm not that much of an old woman..." Marsh brought her half-completed mitten close. "Am I?"

"It's adorable! We can always rely on you to brighten up our days, haha!"

"For once, I agree with her, whatever 'agree' means. A-and, there are those times you bake us cookies wearing that super adorable pink apron. What's it say on it, again?"

Bow replied, "'Have a sweet time,' of course!"

Marsh blushed vividly. "I wear that to protect myself from being burned, thank you very much!"

"Sorry, sorry. Forgot that the living had to deal with that stuff." Bow winked. "It'd be total coolness if you taught me to knit, though."

"Me too!"

'Are they seriously this excited about knitting? Or do they just feel bad for making fun of me...' "You know what, fine. I'll prove knitting is hip!" She mentally cringed at how un-hip she sounded, and ditched the idea. Still, both Bow and Apple looked impressed, especially Apple. She swallowed down her butterflies and said, "Okay, first thing's first: let's hold the needle. Apple, you first."

Apple held it like a pencil. It didn't take too long to get her holding it right, even if Marsh's heart did a little leap at touching her hand so much to make it right.

Marsh dropped the needle into the palm of Bow's hand... just for it to clatter to the ground with a sharp clink! seconds later. "...Alright, that won't work. Uh, it's gonna be hard to do if you can't-"