32. Never Go to Bed Upset

Paintbrush's room had been the very antithesis of Purgatory Mansion, in a lot of ways. The walls were a garish shade of orange and in a state of perfect repair, and there wasn't any clutter anywhere. The only personal touch in the room was a small framed photograph of Lightbulb, Paintbrush, Test Tube and Fan all spending time together in between challenges.

Marsh drummed her fingers on the arm of the big orange armchair she was sitting in. Less than a meter away, Paintbrush was leaning against the tall bedpost of the room's sole double bed.

"So, how did you even make up with Apple? I thought you hated her. She used you."

Hesitation; she didn't want to make anyone look bad. "I-I did, but it was a misunderstanding. Bow possessed her- but only because she wanted to protect me."

"Well, wait, hold up. You're saying that Bow made Apple betray you to protect you? And you forgave her?"

"...When you put it that way, it sounds almost unreasonable."

Her eyes almost hurt, it was so bright. There was no light at Purgatory Mansion.

Paintbrush stared at her, expression pitying. "Marshmallow, I'm sorry, but... Bow's gone. She's never coming ba-"

"Don't look at me like that." Marsh's voice cracked. "I'm not going insane. Her ghost hangs out there. Because MePhone4 was dead when she died, she... couldn't be recovered."

'I'd know, it's all my fault for killing her.'

"Hmm... I can take your word for it."

"I swear it's true; she has an active social media page and everything." She spoke in a tumble of words.

Paintbrush gave it another second's thought, arms crossing, then nodded. "So, all you did was hang out? For three years?"

"P-pretty much. Life at the mansion is boring, but we manage."

"Sometimes boring is good."

Marsh giggled. "It is. Apple had to talk me into coming to this reunion thing. I think this week'll suck eggs. The only reason I'm here is because Apple insisted, and... well, I could catch up with you and the others.

"Hm. I suppose that shouldn't surprise me. I think that's the first thing she's ever done that I'm okay with," Paintbrush joked.

A nervous little giggle. "Apple's really not so bad. Sure she's childish, but... she's nothing but nice to me these days, and never seems to mind sharing. And having someone else who's alive to keep me company at the mansion is probably what's keeping me sane. She's slow on the uptake, but you'd be surprised by how much she seems to get it when you're patient enough to explain. Y'know."

"Uh-huh... I never would've expected you two to bury the hatchet after what she did to you - sorry, what Bow did to you." Paintbrush's hand mindlessly ran through the bristles on its owner's head. "Sounds like you have a lot to say about her."

'Shoot. I rambled a bit there, didn't I?'

"W-what I mean is, you'd be surprised at how okay she is."

Paintbrush didn't look suspicious, at least. "I believe you. ...I just wish you told me everything was okay, or that you were going somewhere. I... I really did worry. There wasn't a day that went by that I didn't think about you, and when I found out she was missing, I was just... I don't know."

"Did they seriously not show any footage of us going to Purgatory Mansion in the show? There were cameras everywhere in the mansion, before we destroyed them all. I-I would've figured... that might tell you I was okay."