45. Be Patient

"Alright, Marshmallow, there are no cameras in here. What's up?"

Marsh pressed the tips of her fingers together and hesitated -- it'd all sound so heartless, laid on the table.

The Hotel OJ master suite was lit only by a candle when Marshmallow was there. It basked everything in an orange, somehow sacred-feeling glow. It was hard to speak because it felt like there was a huge, silent tension in the room.

"This has something to do with Apple?"

Marsh stopped hesitating and sighed. "Doesn't it always?" Marsh deadpanned. "I kind of wish I wasn't so... predictable."

"Predictable isn't necessarily a bad thing. You two are getting along?"

"Oh, um, yeah. Things are wonderful." Marsh rubbed the back of her head awkwardly.

"And how's Bow?"

"She's well. I don't know what she gets up to on that phone of hers, but she's her same old self."

"I've heard some stories from the others. Paintbrush has gotten some funny texts from her." He waved a hand dismissively. "But that's besides the point. If things with Apple are going okay, and Bow approves... I'll put it this way: we're friends, but we're not exactly close. Why are you coming to me about this and not Paintbrush?"

Marsh looked away with a nervous chuckle. "No reason... I guess you could say my relationship with Apple's going... too well."

He raised an eyebrow. "Too well??"

"Um..."

She tapped the tips of her fingers together, rocking on her feet.

'Maybe I should have gone to Paintbrush after all,' she thought. 'How do I even phrase this...?'

His brow furrowed. "...Marshmallow, is there a child involved?"

It took Marsh a second to realize what he meant. "What? N-no! We're just running out of money at the mansion."

He raised an eyebrow. "That's a pity. You can always stay here when it's gone, free of charge."

"Thanks..."

"That's what friends are for," OJ replied. "But I'm assuming there's more to it than that."

"Well, you're right." Marsh twiddled her thumbs. "A few months ago, Apple... proposed."

The only indication that OJ was surprised was the slight widening of his eyes. "Oh."

"Y-yeah... I said I had to think about it."

"I never would have taken her for the proposal type. Congratulations. But are you sure you should be talking to me about this? Don't get me wrong, we're friends, but you're the only one who knows what you want. And emotional advice isn't my strong suit. You should get Paper for that."

"W-well, um. There is a reason why I came here." OJ raised his other eyebrow. "She wants it to be a huge celebrity wedding. So, chances are, we'll do it here if we, uh..." Marsh twiddled her thumbs. "I don't want a big wedding, but... she thinks we could use it to get enough money to stay at the mansion for longer. And that maybe you could profit too. S-so, if I say yes, maybe, y'know..."

"Wow. Sounds simultaneously just like her and not like her at all."

"Yeah... She's different... But do you think there's any way she's right?"

"It sounds like a choice for you to make."

Marsh averted her gaze. "Well... I mean... financially. If we were frugal about the wedding... Could we profit enough to add more time to our mansion stay?"