39. Celebrate the Milestones

The first thing Marsh was aware of when she woke up was how refreshed she felt. Soon after came the sensation of leaning against someone, having her side stroked.

It could only be Apple.

It felt nice. She smiled and leaned a little further into her familiar shape, sighing softly. 'What a way to wake up...'

Then came the realization that drool was dripping from her mouth. She opened her eyes with a start.

Apple was staring at her. "Hiya. You sleep okay?"

Marsh hastily wiped her mouth. "Y-yeah... Sorry I drooled on you."

"'S no big deal. You're cute when you're sleeping."

'Gosh, how embarrassing.' She giggled nervously, then took Apple's hand off of her. "You'll put me asleep if you keep stroking me like that..." she glanced around. They were on the sitting room couch, and light filtered in from the large window. "Uh, what time is it, anyway?"

"Almost eleven. And before you ask, you've been asleep for three hours and twenty-eight minutes. And we're in the sitting room instead of your room because you woke up all tired so you dozed off while I was reading you the story."

It was only a foggy memory at that point, not remembered unless she really thought about it.

As usual, Bow got murdered in her nightmare. And Bow died when she was murdered. Kind of like the real life, really.

'That's right... I did have a rough night last night, huh?'

She stopped that sobering train of thought and replied, "I'm proud of you for reading out loud. Sorry I went to sleep; I must have been really relaxed."

"I'll say! Or just extra tired because you clearly had another nightmare last night."

Apple was daring her to deny it.

Marsh laughed sardonically. "You're such a good reader these days. You've been such a dedicated student."

Apple froze for a second, as if unsure whether to drop it, but soon did, grinning. "You really think so? Only because you're a super teacher."

"I would've given up if you weren't so dedicated. You're at least 70% of the equation."

"Aww, thanks! I didn't read ahead without you, y'know. We can pick up where we left off."

"What'd you even do without reading?"

"Uhh... Watch you."

Marsh looked at her strangely. "...For three hours?"

Apple laughed nervously. "I did some rereading for part of it. ...C'mon, you're cute..."

It should've been as creepy as it was weird. Instead, Marsh sighed affectionately. "What'll I ever do with you." She pecked Apple's cheek eliciting a giggle.

"Okay, I didn't deserve that. Whatever deserve means. Uh, don't explain; we'll just add it to our lesson list. Er, you know what today is?" Apple asked.

She thought for a moment. There was never really a reason to keep track of the date with no appointments or anything. "Er, July 13th?"

"Yeah. What else is it?"

"...Friday?"

"Thank God not; we can't have bad luck on a special, important day like this! One more guess."

'...What could it be? It's not her birthday, is it? Birthdays never came up before, so maybe... That'd make her... what sign?'

Finally, she sighed. "Okay, I'm not really sure. Why is today so special?"