37. Take Care of One Another

"Oh my gosh, is that THE Marshmallow?!"

Marsh startled at the sound of the incredulous whisper, and the rushing footsteps, but she wasn't sure why. It happened on most of the Walmart trips they'd ever gone on at least once, occasionally twice or three times. Why should that one be an exception?

Long story short, Marsh suddenly found the nutrition facts on their trail mix very interesting as he came up.

"Hey, excuse me, you are Apple and Marshmallow from Inanimate Insanity, right?"

"We sure are," Apple replied.

"Oh my gosh! I'm a huge fan!" He rummaged around in the backpack on his back, and pulled out a hat with the II logo on it. "See? I even bought this at the reunion!" He stuck it on one of the prongs atop him and grinned.

"Wow, that's super cool! What's your name?"

"I'm Wrench. I-I just can't believe I'm meeting you!" There was a tremor in his voice, which sounded kind. "And that you two shop here!"

"Yep! Not every day, but sometimes. Walmart does have everything, after all!"

Marsh could feel Wrench's eyes rest on her. She read the box more assertively as he remarked, "That's amazing!"

'Not sure how, but... okay.'

"Anyway, I've been watching Inanimate Insanity ever since season one. Marshmallow, you're my favorite contestant."

Marsh finally looked up from the box, and chuckled uneasily. "R-really?"

"Yeah. You're always so cool and hilarious on the repeats. I love how cute you are!"

Marsh had no clue how to respond ('it's so weird hearing it all from a complete stranger'), but luckily she didn't have to, because Apple interjected, "It sounds like the two of us have a lot in common. Like... a lot a lot, because I also think Marshmallow is really amazing! But we have to get the shopping done quick, or we're gonna get caught in the rain. An apple a day, sure, but we don't want to get sick..."

"I'd hate to trouble you like that. Can I please take a pic with you guys real quick, so I know this isn't just a dream?"

Apple looked expectantly at her. Marsh smiled and replied, "Certainly."

"Great. I think I'm too tall to get to the floor, so..." He handed Marsh his phone and picked them up. It was incredibly uncomfy the way that being touched (and picked up by) strangers always was.

And, with a MePhone 8 to take care of, it was even more uncomfy, because those things were way more expensive than the old MePhone 3 she was used to.

'I'm lucky I'm so light that being dropped is hardly a concern.'

"C'mon, Marshmallow! Take the picture! You got this!"

Marsh held the phone out in front of her and angled it upwards until everyone was in the shot. Apple was giving two thumbs up despite the fact that his arm was visibly straining to lift her, comfortable like a true celebrity.

'What pose would Bow do?' she asked herself, then made a peace sign and winked, and took the picture.

Wrench set them down gently and stared in wonder at the picture. "Amazing. Thank you guys so much!" His eyes were bright. "It's such an honor. I'll tag Bow on Instachat so you can have it too. Have a wonderful day, a-and tell my second favorite character Tissues that I said 'hi'!"

He stepped backwards, then walked off, not taking his eyes of them until he changed aisles.

Apple grabbed her hand, still grinning in his direction. As soon as he was out of earshot, she spoke quietly: "Nice dude. ...You okay, Marsh? That was, like, the fifth one."