42. Take Notice of the Littlest Details

Apple didn't have an eye for subtlety. She colored things in broad strokes, with her artwork and otherwise, in the simplest of color schemes.

Marsh doubted that she realized how big of a change the garden was.

The physical change was obvious. The dull mansion landscape was now accented with bright, living green. A plethora of colors were represented by the two dozen flowers in the garden: red, yellow, blue, purple, pink, even orange. Apple had painted the pots so no two looked alike. 'What an amazing idea,' Marsh thought.

But more significant? The psychological change.

It was good to feel good about something for once, to be able to shut off the dark thoughts with, "well, at least I'm doing this good deed." It was a massive change indicated only by the subtlest of changes in disposition.

Heck, half the changes had already been brought on by the stargazing confession. It was less staring into the distance and sighing, and more taking care of the living things in her life. It was less lonely-feeling.

Loneliness was hard to see, so it'd be surprising indeed if Apple saw all of that.

She sat on the bottommost step of the Purgatory Mansion porch, leaning back and enjoying the scenery. Peaceful thoughts steeped in nostalgia passed through her mind. Memories of times bygone filled her mind.

Many of them involved Apple, but not all of them. Some were of times with Team Epic in between seasons, like her, Lightbulb, and Paintbrush's old tea parties. There was even the occasional snatch of a memory of a time before time, before she even got the letter in the post telling her she was competing on Inanimate Insanity. All were rendered in the brightest of hues, like those flowers.

She sighed dreamily.

The Purgatory Mansion door was bashed open behind her. "Marshmallow!"

"Yes?"

Apple bounded down the steps and stood in front of her, hands behind her back. "I got you something!"

"Oh?"

"But I can't give it to you unless you sit up, put your arms out like you're gonna give me a hug, and close your eyes."

Marsh grinned awkwardly. 'This must be some drawing... What is it, on a poster or something?' She still obeyed, though.

Suddenly she felt something being put on her, like a vest. "Uh."

"Don't look. Just give me a second!"

"A-are you doing up buttons?!"

No response except the distinct motion of buttoning something. A misplaced sense of panic came over her. '...Come on. It's Apple. She wouldn't do something to hurt me, would she?' The answer was no, obviously.

She took a deep breath and willed herself to relax. "Hold on...! There! All done. You can look now."

Marsh opened her eyes. Apple was standing pretty close to her with a hopeful grin on her face. Marsh looked.

She was wearing a dark blue vest with short sleeves. A Walmart logo was etched into the pocket on the front. It was quite loose, especially around her arms and back, but it wasn't falling off of her or anything.

"A Walmart uniform?! Where'd you even-"

"Walmart, obviously! When I woke up and you weren't in bed, I knew I had to get you something special. And Walmart's your favorite. So I went to Walmart and asked what kinda Walmart-logo stuff they had, and the cashier looked at me funny for a minute. Then he gave me this jacket and told me that I could only have it if I gave him my autograph."