11. Don't Worry About What Others Think

The maze was an oddly suitable metaphor for Marshmallow's feelings. The high green walls were impossible to climb over; they could only be waded through, branches hitting one's face all the while. When you spoke, it was like the sound was eaten up by the thick leaves. Laced among the leaves, invisible but inevitably there, were cameras, their cold lenses trained on their every movement. Any turn could be the wrong one, and one to lose the challenge for the team.

It was an uncomfortable metaphor for how MePhone thought of them, too; usually, only labrats would go through them.

"So, Marshmallow, uhh... what'd you want to talk to me about?"

"Just thinking about Apple, how I don't know when someone's using me or not."

Paintbrush sighed with annoyance. "Is Apple bothering you again? Ugh... what'd she do this time?"

'It's an ironic use of the present tense. It's been seven months since that night at the hotel.'

"Uhm... mmm... I'm not sure... It was just... so sudden..."

'l, and I still haven't... really talked about it.' That was what Marsh would have said, if Paintbrush hadn't put up a hand. "Hold on. Where, where is that coming from?"

"Hold on. Where, where is that coming from?" Paintbrush stepped through the hedge. "Lightbulb, what IS this?"

"Sorry! We just felt like this would be a... one note conversation." That was Fan. Lightbulb laughed and high-fived him.

Paintbrush sighed and stepped back through the hedge. "Well, look. You thought you knew her, but now you know for a fact she was just taking advantage of your popularity right?" Paintbrush smiled.

"Uhh... Actually..."

The sounds on the other side of the hedge crescendoed.

"Wha-" Paintbrush growled, then grinned. "Just a second, Marshmallow..." Paintbrush walked backwards through the hedge to address the sound. This time, Marsh tried to climb up the hedge. It took a lot of scrabbling for a foothold, but she managed to get a fair way up. Praise be for lightweight objects.

"What will Marshmallow talk about next?! Let's spin the wheel!"

"FAN! What are you doing?!"

"Uhh, analyzing your character interactions?"

Someone gave her a boost from below; she glanced down to see Microphone climb up. Then she regarded the scene below. There was fire. Paintbrush was shouting.

There was bright red wheel with Apple's name on every slice.

'Is this really what I sound like? I didn't think I spoke about it THAT much...'

"I. HATE. YOU!"

"Uhh... are they okay over there?"

"Ugh!" Marsh hopped off the hedge. "All I did was ask about Apple using me, and this craziness happens." 'Is there ANYONE around here who listens to feelings?'

"Well... maybe it isn't so bad if someone uses you. If... if it benefits you as well... right?"

"I see your point there, not that I agree with it, of course." Paintbrush stepped back in. "In fact, NOBODY should agree with it, because it's a TERRIBLE POINT! C'mon, Marsh. We're leaving."

XXX

Several months later, she decided to get a second opinion. Never before had Marsh approached Fan outside of a challenge. He always seemed a bit... weird, honestly. Sure, he came to her a few times before to ask her questions in between the earlier episodes, and every single one had been awkward.