Chapter 26 | Beckett

I'm anxious when we get to the country club, I've yet to take Jasper inside. He's only been here when we came with Derek and Brody to play tennis so he hasn't experienced the club to it's full extent. When we get inside we'll be swarmed with Manning Heights elite, and they're like vultures just waiting for a crumb to drop.

Jasper is the biggest crumb yet.

I bite my lip and suck in a breath composing myself. My father grunts and I nod to myself. Time to be posed and presentable.

When we walk in Jasper chuckles lowly.

"We'll this is fucking over the top"

I can't help the glare I send him, it's an automatic response. I can't have him misbehave, not here. Not with my father around, not in the public eye.

He only gives me a look before shaking his head and turning away. At least he doesn't say anything else. A club attendant immediately walks over to my mother and father.

"Mr.Chambers! May I get you a drink? Your usual?"

My father holds up his hand.

"No thank you, I'm actually here for brunch with a few other of Manning Heights finest"

He chuckles as if this is a joke, but we all know it's not. He truly believe he's one of the finest and anyone who disagrees would feel his wrath.

"Of course sir, a few other families are gathered in the dining area. I can have a drink brought to the table?"

My father nods "that would be splendid Russell, thank you"

Before Russell can leave my father grunts.

"Beckett"

I step forward clearing my throat.

"Yes sir?"

He gestures to Russell.

"Russell is bringing drinks to the table"

I nod and turn to Jasper.

"Would you like something?"

His eyes narrow and he clenches his jaw, I know he wants to scoff at me. Tell me how much he hates this place and how I am when I'm here, but thankfully for my sake he just grunts.

"Water"

Russell nods towards Jasper.

"Of course sir, we have sparkling or flat"

Jasper squints at him.

"Just regular water from the tap will do thanks"

My mom gasps at that.

"Oh no! He's kidding please bring filtered water to the table"

Russell nods.

"wonderful I'll have it over there shortly"

We walk over to the table and everyone is already seated, I used to imagine being the last one to arrive would annoy my father, but now I realize he likes having all eyes on him when he makes his grand entrance. He father moves to sit at the head of the table opposite to Derek's father and my mom to his right. I attempt to pull out the chair on his left, but Jasper grabs the back of it and pushes me slightly.

I make a face my eyes widening a fraction, but he just glares. Of course my father notices and his face darkens.

"Boys. Have a seat"

Jasper keeps his jaw tense and I know I won't win, he'll cause a scene and I can't have that. I pull out the chair on Jasper's left and allow him
The seat next to my father.