Chapter 42 | Beckett

"I need to go now"

The nurse gives me the same look she's given me the past 5 times I've told her how badly I need to go, but clearly she doesn't get it. I need to go, the last time I saw Jasper the police had taken him and it's all my fault!

"Sir I understand you're experiencing a lot of stress right now, I am working as fast I can, but unfortunately observation after a head injury is very important"

I groan because observation means a long period of time, and i don't have a long period of time.

The nurse pats my shoulder and gives me a sympathetic smile before walking out of my room and wandering down the hallway.

The minute she's gone I check my phone groaning when I realize despite how it feels it's actually been hours since I saw Jasper last. I'm getting up from my bed ready to just sneak my way out of here when my mom barges into my room.

"Beckett!!"

Hearing her yell has me frozen in shock and when she wraps her arms around me I nearly fall over.

"Mom?"

She pulls back and is sobbing. Wiping her eyes viciously despite the onslaught of tears pouring down her face.

"That is it Beckett! The last straw! I'm leaving your father! I don't can't if he takes everything!"

I blink at her not really sure if her words are real.

"He's a vile man and those terrible, awful things he said about your brother I thought I was going to throw up and the way he hit you! How can he hit you like that Beckett?! You're his son?!"

That has my body going ridged because how could she not know? I know Jordan and I had a silent promise to never tell her, never ask her for help, but I always assumed she knew. That she just didn't want to admit it.

"He hit us."

She blinks at me tilting her head.

"What honey?"

I shake my head angry, not at her. At him, because he did this. He did all of this and I'm finally saying it. Finally letting it all out.

"He hit us! He hit me, he hit Jordan!"

My moms face is stark white and I can't stop, not now. Not when she's finally knowing the truth. I'm trying and tugging at my shirt viciously needing it to get off of me. When it finally is I stand before her, my back facing her and I'm completely still.

"He did this. Every time. Every time I wasn't good enough. Every time i disappointed him. Every time I failed. Every time I didn't try hard enough he made sure next time I'd try harder."

I turn when I hear my mom cry out and find her collapsed on the ground. She's sobbing and trying to speak, her words jumbled together. I don't try to soothe her, I'm too swallowed up in my own feelings to take on hers. Instead I watch her, I watch her fall from the pedestal he put her on. Watch it crumble beneath her. I watch as something be built collapses because of everything he did. And it feels great. It feels incredible.

Not because my mom is in pain. Not because she's hurting, but because telling her his secret is destroying him. It's ripping away his life like he ripped away mine, and in this moment I know I'll do it again. I will tear down everything he's built and take everything he has and I'll do it all for Jordan.

I don't notice when the nurse comes back and rushes into the room to soothe my mom. Concern written all over her face. Not until she shakes my arm anyway.

"Are you okay? Your mom is worried?"

I turn slowly and she bites her lip.

"Can I ask what happened to your back? I can dress those wounds if you like. Although they look like they've been taken care of well"