Chapter 46 | Beckett

Everyone seems to be starting at me. Waiting to see my reaction. Wondering why I'm so calm. When I woke up this morning I was still riding out the combined high of telling Jasper I love him and exposing my dad for what he really is. I didn't think anything could knock me down, I was wrong.

"Jasper, I know this is disappointing and hard to process but I need to be sure you understand before we go and proceed with the trail"

I shake my head before standing abruptly my chair scratching the floor as I do. I still haven't said anything. I don't know what to say.

"This is fucking bullshit!"

I turn to Jasper maybe that's what I should have said. He's not wrong. This feels like fucking bullshit.

I finally just walk away. I move to leave, but before I can Mr.Finley speaks again.

"Beckett, please don't go yet it's not all bad news"

I grunt and drop my hand from the door knob.

"Respectfully, I don't know what good news you could have for me Mr.Finley. You just informed me after suffering for years and finally telling the truth about my father the court has to dismiss my "outburst"".

I stay calm, I'm trying to anyway. This feeling is familiar, I don't know why I thought this time would be any different. I always knew he'd get away with it. He always knew that too.

"Beckett. It's not over. Your revelation about your fathers actions can't be considered in this case, but we can create a new case. It can be it's own case"

I sigh "what do you mean?"

Usually I'd understand and grasp what he's saying quickly, after all I went to law school for a semester, but today I'm too drained to process.

"Beckett, this case is not about you. The judge and the jury are here to talk about you father and Jasper. They can't consider how your father treated you growing up because that didn't occur during the time of the incident. What they can consider and what you also testified is that he put his hands on you and that's what provoked Jasper. That is allowed."

I nod at least we have that going for us. Jasper meets my eyes and motions for me to come sit back down. I don't want to, but I know everyone's anxious and worried about me. Walking over I drop back into my seat.

"So what's happening today?"

Mr.Finley sighs "Jasper is the last to be called to the stand and then we have closing statements and final verdict. With any luck we'll finish this today"

I sigh "I hope so"

Mr.Finley nods as someone knocks on the door likely letting us know our case is about to be called.

"Beckett, we'll talk more after the trial"

I nod meekly and get up heading toward the door, but Jasper grabs my sleeve and tugs me back so everyone else clears the room before us. He ducks his head and kisses my jaw just below my ear and mumbles.

"I'm sorry babe"

I sigh and lean back into him.

"It's fine"

He shakes his head "it's not fine, but we're going to figure this out. I love you"

A smile still climbs my face involuntarily whenever he says those three words.

"I love you too Jasper"

I turn placing a gentle kiss on his lips before we go out into the hall with everyone else. The court room is starting to clear out and I head in the room. Jasper squeezes my hand once and walks toward the front while I find a seat with my mom and Japer's family as well as Derek and Preston.