Chapter 13

At the door of the meeting room, I see Soldier standing at attention by the door, shouting a conversation with the people inside. My throat tightens. Everyone is probably really mad I made it later than scheduled. I planned on being early, but I had to find all of my stuff to rest my case, and the whole Medic thing I had to say before anything bad happened. I slowly walk up to Soldier and nervously nod my head to say hello.

"Um, sorry I'm a little late, I was grabbing some things to show you guys." I follow Soldier into the room and unexpectedly I saw an office like meeting space, almost every merc was chatting and looking through paperwork like actual people. I forget that this is technically a business they work for, and this type of environment is barely in the game or comic.

All of them noticed I had walked in and all eyes were suddenly on me. My throat tightens and I could I bit my cheeks in nervous instinct.
Spy leans back in his chair.  "Finally, I'm tired of waiting." He says it quite loud, so everyone lowers their voices until it's almost silent in the room and I'm standing in front them in an awkward staring contest. Spy waves his hands and raises an eyebrow. "Well? How would you like to start off this funeral, madam?" He impatiently looks to me for a reply.

"Oh! U-um!" I scatter to unfree myself from my frozen anxious body and stumble to find my phone on my person. Everyone seems rather unconcerned that I'm fighting for my life at the moment, and I try to distract myself from scrolling through my photo gallery on my phone. I have to have a picture of at least a meme or a screenshot from the game! Otherwise they'll kill me for possibly being a spy!

I open my phone and go to the gallery, then scroll through to find the old tf2 pictures and memes I had from forever ago. I finally find one. Something from the old #savetf2 trend on twitter where everyone and their mother were trying to get Valve to recognize the bot problem in all of the TF2 servers. I can't really give them too much context because of how specific that is, but I hurry and show the first person closest to me the meme:

(See the video attached)

Its a video with Soldier Rocket jumping all over the gravel factory map and passing by all of the mercs, only to have him disintegrate at the sight of the Sniper bots that infested the servers. A creator i probably still follow made this post to twitter and I saved it forever ago because I sent it to a friend who was also into the game.
My phone suddenly went black, indicating it has gone dead. I slowly look over at the people I had showed it to...

Pyro started clapping his hands and giggling, and Scout had a bewildered look on his face.
"What the hell... did Soldier just turn into dust?!" He grabs the phone and tries to turn it back on. "I gotta see that again that was hilarious!"
Soldier runs up behind me and yells at Scout to give him the phone.

"THAT IS HEARSAY I AM NOT DUST! I WOULD BE DEAD!"

Sniper yanks the phone out of their hands and smacks Scout on the back of the neck. He taps on the screen repeatedly. "What the hell happened, the screen went black?" He hands me the phone and I press the power button and reluctantly show him the display. "My phone died... that video was from a creator I follow who makes content using Team Fortress 2, a game I own on my computer and it's assets."
Everyone had a quizzical look on their faces, trying to comprehend the meaning behind the video.

"Team Fortress 2?" Sniper questions. "I've never heard of it."

"What is video game?" Heavy adds. I put my phone on the table in front of me and wave my hands in the air dismissing the questions.

"You guys wouldn't know anything about these things because the game was created in the 21st century. But let me try explain why." I try to wrack my head around the impossibility of the situation and try to make my theory as easy to understand as I can. "I think I'm either going crazy in a mental hospital right now, or I got zapped through time and space and this is all disturbingly real, and since none of you seem to like me all that much, the ladder seems most realistic."

"Why would it matter if we liked you?" Engi chimed in. "It ain't like we don't like you though."

"Um, well," my face feels a little red when I think about it. "I mean, in my world, I'm a really big fan of the video game, and you guys are the main characters in it so,"

"I think you've explained yourself quite enough, Y/n." Spy suddenly stands up, and your heart leaps into your stomach.

"I...I have?" You gulp.

"I am going to be quite frank with you, madamoselle. I do not understand a single thing you are trying to explain to us, nor do I care about your little video." He's holding something behind his back, most likely something deadly.

"Now, Spy," Medic smiles at him wryly and stands up next to him. "We don't want to make any more rash decisions today, do we?" Spy steps away from Medic and smirks at me evilly.

"Of all the things I have done to this woman, this is the most calculated I have been. Stand back."

Spy walks over to me and I back away nervously until he slides in between me and the table and sits down, slamming a metal case onto the space beside him. I look at it in horror.

"Wh, um, what's going on Where'd you find that?" I stammer. Spy is very much taking in my lack of composure as a sign that he's doing his job right.

"You said you liked the video game that we are in, yes?" Spy asks. I look around the room and nod slowly. "Alright then, I believe you." He lifts the case and rests it on his lap, holding the sides with his large hands.

"You do?"  I say, not believing him immediately. He nods calmly.

"I do. I believe that you aren't from here and that you were fans of us as characters in a video game." He closes his eyes and firmly nods his head again.

A smile slowly spreads along my face. "Uh, I'm glad you do, but you said you didn't understand my explanation earlier..."

Spy opens one eye to look at me. "Oh, I didn't need the explanation. I just had to confirm something with you. I've believed you weren't a spy since, eh... around yesterday?"

"Ye...yesterday!?" I blurt out. "B-but I hadn't even found anything to prove to you yet! Why didn't you say anything?"
Spy unclipped the clamps on the metal case and placed it next to him.

"I would have said something earlier, but then I read some things that changed my mind and I just had to wait until this very moment to tell you." He opened the case and inside were a bunch of papers stapled together crudely, and one of my flash drives. He pulled out one of the sets of paper and gave them to me.

"You have quite the passion for writing, weren't you?"