Chapter 16

I giggle as I carry a paper bag with the logo of a clothing company. Never in my life have I been more excited to try on clothes. I've seen any clothes like these for sale in your life. They're all so vintage looking and genuine! Well, I guess it's because they really are from the seventies. I look inside of the bag and pull out the nice looking shirt that I picked out today at the mall. It's just the kind of style I was looking for! I'm not usually a fashion or clothes person, but after spending almost a month without wearing my own clothing, this gesture from them meant everything to me.

Seeing my giddiness, the boys following behind me were more than pleased, as I tap my toes on the floor with excitement. Once we got into the medical ward, I look back at them, holding the rest of my many bags of new stuff. Engineer and Sniper were holding the majority of the bags, while Scout had been carrying a bedroom sheet set over his shoulder. I look at all of there faces, tired but happy, and I immediately pull all three of them into a big hug. They all hiccup at the gesture.

"Thank you thank you THANK YOU GUYS! I couldn't be happier! Thank you for going out of your way to do this for me." I let them go and they all stared at me. Sniper and Scout were both sudde ly red in the face, and Engineer only chuckled heartily. We start putting my new stuff down and I turn back around to look at them again.

"Don't you mention it, alright? We were just getting you outta our clothes. I don't have that many red button ups to be sharing." Sniper's humble and frank tone echoed through the room. Normally he's pretty loud, but he seemed like he didn't mean to say it that loud. His red face was still smiling though, so I took it as something to be happy for, so I giggle.

"As long as you're not walking around uncomfortable, you're plenty welcome." Engineer patted my head with a gloved metal hand and turned around. "I'll be in the shop, working on touching up the rest of the scratches and dents in that big ol truck of yours. I reccomended taking 40 winks, since you are still pretty weak right now."

"Dija remember the stuff I picked out for you to wear? Here I'll find it!" Scout was about to search in the bags for a "pajama set" He picked out for me, something way too inappropriate to be wearing near the mercs. I grabbed his hands and pulled him back up from the bags.

"Scout, I remember. And I'll be sure to wear them... eventually. Just not while you're around. Mkay?" I pat his hand and let him go. Then turn him around, pushing both him and Sniper away in the most polite manner I could. Scout moaned in pity and slumped away. Everyone walks to the other side of the door frame, and I'm about to close the door, but Sniper kicks his boot to hold it.

"You better actually sleep." He says "Don't say up trying on those clothes, you'll have plenty of time to wear them throughout the time you're here." He pokes my forehead with his index finger playfully. I puff my cheeks out, embarrassed that he read my mind.

"Ugh, fine. But I'm at least gonna change into something other than... these." I look down at my clothes, a crude looking self made dress using one of Heavy's shirts with a plain vest from Sniper, and my own shoes that definitely don't match. I can't believe I went to the mall in this shitty getup...I had been wearing this messy look on most days, when I wasn't wearing Scout's joggers and Sniper's button ups. "I'll be sure to wash all of those clothes of yours that I wore, by the way."

"Right. Welp. We won't keep you waiting, darlin'." Engi smiles wide and pats Sniper and Scout on the back.

"Right. Good night guys, and thank you again."

"Take it easy, sweetheart." Scout waits for the other two to turn around, and then he winks at me. I chuckle and wave them goodbye, then close the door.

"No time to waste now " I say to myself, and I immediately skip to my clothes. I start pulling them out one by one and folding them neatly on my bed, being sure to pick out what I want to wear tomorrow and my pajamas for tonight. (I toss the ones Scout picked in my personal bag)

Putting on new clothes always makes me feel fresh, and even though it's just some silly two piece, pink pajamas, I feel better already knowing no one else has worn these. I make my way toward the bathroom in the ward, and look at myself in the mirror. My face is finally my normal skin tone, and my hair is healthy. The only thing different is that I've still not gained back the weight I lost while bedridden. Getting a proper read of myself in my body, I could feel my legs and back were aching and weak and my headaches haven't stopped. I decide that after running around the mall for a few hours, I really should get to bed by now.

I walk back to where I set up my bedsheets (which are my favorite shade of red) and sit down. Normally I'd be looking at my phone and seeing what my friends have been up to online. Not having a phone has probably been one of the harder things to get used to while living here, and while I didn't have my phone in basic training, I at least had things to do while I was there. I'm basically a pet to the mercs right now. Or a useless housewife.

As I'm in my thoughts, I'm startled by the door to the medical ward opening. Medic's silhouette is the only thing visible from the light of the outside area. I sigh and chuckle a little.

"Hi, Medic. I'm back. I was just getting ready for bed." I tuck my legs in and wrap my hands around my ankles. I am still a little embarassed around him while with him on my own. He chuckles and walks toward his lab area, leaving the door open.

"Good evening, Frau. I take it you had an eventful afternoon?" He picks up a piece of paper and finds a folder for it to go in. You hum and pull at your bedsheets. He sets the folder down and heads toward you.

"I actually need to ask something of you, my dear." He says. He sits on another bed opposed from me. I put my legs down and sit normally.

"Okay..." I say hesitantly. "What's up?"

"You know your way around the building by now, so I'd like to ask you a favor. I need you to go to a certain room for me." He leans in, placing his elbows on his legs. "It's not a favor for me really, but I do think it will help all of us break the tension in the air."

You nod. "That would be nice. I want to get along with everybody. Where is this room?"

○○○○

"Right this way, Frau." Medic has led me to a door I haven't seen before. It's way past midnight, so I imagine all of the Mercs besides Medic are asleep. I had a feeling this was another one of his creepy experiments, and stepped back.

"This isn't some freaky dungeon or something where you're gonna drug me and do tests on me is it?"

Medic laughs loudly and slaps my back. "Dungeon? Oh, Frau, I wouldn't dream of it! Absolutely filthy places, dungeons." He walks behind me and away. "No, I'm just the messenger. Have a good night, Frau." He sped off before I could ask him anything more. 'The messenger' ? What kind of messenger is that vague?

I turn to the door in front of me, already regretting agreeing to walk in. He told me to go inside, but the ominous Medic makes me wonder if it's really safe. Still, my curiosity is stronger than my anxiety this time, and I gently open the door... and take a step inside...

It's warm in here. I feel the yarn of the expensive carpet on my bare feet. The awful smell of cigarette smoke invades my lungs, and I'm forced to hold my breath until I lift my button up over my nose and mouth. I recognize that my body is still quite frail at that moment, a d try to find a place to sit or lay down.

The first thing I see when I look up from my shirt is a very important looking chair, in front of a fireplace. It's a very large room with lots of pictures and beautiful paintings. Above everything are windows, that let the light of the moon peek inside. Stepping closer, I notice that the chair had a matching table beside it, lots of cigarette butts filling an ornate ashtray, and a bottle of wine sitting next to a single glass.

"Woah..." I verbalized my awe and gazed around the place some more, kind of getting lost in the moment. But suddenly, the back of my head rested on something new. Looking up over my brow, I'm met with a masked face glaring back down at me.

(Oops a cliffhanger :P see u next month <3)

Update: I switch chapter 15 and 16, as somehow they got bamboozled.