Chapter 8

"Did you guys already go through my bag, or were you waiting for me to wake up?" I say to Scout as we walk into his less than clean room. "Because it's okay if it was looked through. I'm trying to be as open as possible."

"Well, uh, I didn't look through it or anything, but Sniper had it a couple o' times and prolly looked in it. Spy wanted to look through it too, but Sniper and I didn't let him cuz he was being weird about it. S'whateva." I walked in further and looked at all of the Tom Jones memorabilia decorating his room.

"Tom Jones, huh?" I giggle. "I have a friend who's mom is really into Tom Jones too." 

"Haha, yea. He's great in't he?" Scout looks up at a poster of Tom Jones with a smaller picture of Scout's face taped beside it. "Could you believe that guy is my dad?"

"What? No Way!" I play it off as if I believe it, but really I knew his dad is actually Spy, he was just disguised as Tom Jones when he said it. "Are you a secret love child?"

"Yea, my ma told me I'm crazy for thinkin' he's my dad, but I think she's just covering for him. My ma's sweet like that." He walks past me to the bed at the end of the room. "Anyways, I know you're probably waiting to get all of your stuff and get outta here." He pulls out my bag from the bottom drawer of a dresser. "I've never seen such a brightly colored backpack before. Is it for kids or something?"

I chuckle. "Actually, I think it is. I just liked the colors and I couldn't resist, you know. I use it more like a purse than a backpack though." Scout hands me the bag. "Thank you for keeping it safe for so long. I guess I'll open it when I get to the infirmary and hope that all my toiletries are inside haha." I turn to leave, but Scout stops me. 

"Hold on a second, Y/n." He turns me around and looks at me in the eyes, but I instinctively avoid doing the same. It still feels a little awkward being around him.

"Y-yea?" I say.

"I heard Spy tried something a while ago..." He scratches the back of his neck and looks away, and I nod. "If he ever tries doin' somethin' weird like that again, don't be afraid to call on one of us to help you out. I don't know about Soldier, or Sniper, but I know Demo and Engi really like you, and me too, so...yea." 

Scout bringing up Spy more than once, he must have been worried. I tighten my lips. "You guys... you barely know me. Why are you so quick to trust me?" I clench my bag, thinking about Spy. "Spy's your coworker, right? And I'm just a kid who stumbled into somewhere she's not supposed to be. I'd put more faith into Spy if I were you, Scout. He's just trying to protect you." 

"Well, yea but you're not any danger to us so he shouldn't be treating you like you are." He states. "Especially cuz you're a girl. He says he's a ladies' man but he treated you like some thug? That shit, it ain't right." 

"There's a lot a girl can do. Women and men may not be equal strength wise, but all of us are on equal ground when I comes to intelligence. I could have been a secret agent or something cooler than what I am now, and Spy would have been in the right when it came to killing me. Not everything is what it seems..." I notice I'm going on a rant and look at Scout for a reaction. He's messing around with a Tom Jones bobble head, and probably didn't listen to what I just said. "Welp, I think I'm gonna head back and see what Medic is doing. Uh,, see ya Scout."

"Oh yea, uh, see ya."

I walk out and close the door to Scout's room, then let out a huge sigh. 'That was more awkward than I had intended...' Before I'm able to leave the hallway though, I notice that I'm being secretly watched. Behind the corner of the end of the hallway, just beside Scout's door, a not so sneaky Soldier was peaking at me from under his helmet. I stare at him, but he doesn't seem to notice he's been caught. So I speak up instead.

"Uh,, hello, Soldier." I murmur, but the interaction must have startled him, because he froze in shock and ran away. I walk around the corner until I find him again, he's standing at attention beside a lamppost, possibly wanting to be seen as one as well. "Did you need something?" I ask while standing in front of him. "Because you don't need to hide from me." He doesn't say anything, but he starts sweating. "...I'm walking to the infirmary, would you like to walk with me?" I stand there awkwardly for an answer. Right as I'm about to walk away, he starts walking with me as well.

"I, uh, was told you are a fellow American soldier." He finally talks to me, and I immediately nod.

"Yes, yes I am. I just graduated my Advanced individual training. I was supposed to go to my station as soon as Christmas break was over, but I ended up here instead."

"Advanced training huh? You must have fought in the frontlines of the war back in '47."

"Uh, more like took some classes on how to do my job. I havent actually been to my duty station yet. I don't think I could fight in the frontlines like that anyways, that's more of an infantry thing."

"Oh..." Soldier looks like he's trying to figure out what the hell I just said. It'sgotten pretty awkward. "Well, that sounds boring. Are you sure you're in the Army?"

I chuckle and sigh. "Well, your army and my army may be different. I'm only a support to the people who fight. You'll have to tell me about your experiencesome time."

His face lights up when I say this. He stops us in the middle of the hallway and he starts going into explicit detail on how poopy joe and his friends fought in the war with him. Soldier is a surprisingly good story teller.