Chapter 21

...

I didn't even know I had passed out until I woke up in a bed. I groan and open my eyes, and instantly grab my head, which is pounding.

"S-shit... nngh...!"

I shut my eyes and groan in pain, and after a few seconds,, it subsides, leaving me breathing heavy. I go to grab my phone, and can't find it. Instead I touch the palm of a large hand and it gently goes to hold mine. I flinch and gasp, slowly opening my eyes again to look for the source.

"H-Heavy..." He looked at me with concern. I remember where I am. Who I'm with...My head hurts again. Like a cranial cramp, it comes in waves. I look down at his hand as I try to calm the pain down. "Oh my god... Heavy." I squeeze his hand, and he squeezes back.

"Are you okay?" His deep voice rumbles, he sounds tired.

"I..." I'd like to say I'm fine, but with my brain throbbing, it's hard to think. I try to remember what happened. The truck crash, the Red team, and now... the Blu team... "Fuck, my head hurts." I hiss. Heavy gently pushes me back in the pillow, placing an ice pack over my head as he comforts me. He looks over to his left.

"Doctor!" He says loudly. It startles me, and he holds my hand tighter. "Sorry." He whispers. "Doctor will be here to look at you. Do not try to think, Da?"

"Th-thanks..." I close my eyes and try not to think about anything else. He puts his hand over my head and covers my eyes. It's rather calming. After a few moments, I hear the trampling footsteps of an anxious doctor, along with the clamering of a couple other familar voices.

"I do not have time to talk about this right now, my patient is awake."

"You better think about this, lad. We can't risk the girl going about on her own again. Just think, lad."

"Mate, I get that you're worried, but keep it down. Look."

The men approach, their voices going silent. Heavy caresses my head and removes his hand from my eyes, then stands, being replaced by Medic coming in with a stethoscope and thermometer. His uncharacteristicly stoic expression makes me feel awkward. I sit up at take the ice bag from my head to my lap.

"Open up." Medic says. He taps my chin. I do as he says, and he puts the thermometer in my mouth, holding it there under my tongue. I feel even more uncomfortable as the guys suddenly stayed quiet. After he sees the mercury rise to the correct temperature, he pulls the stick out and sets it aside, then silently writes it down the temperature on his clipboard.

"Um... is everything okay?" I ask everyone. They must not have noticed how silent they were, because they all suddenly started trying to reassure me, talking over one another with "of course," "Yep, everything's alright," and "don't worry," and Medic still staying silent. Heavy looks over at his friend and nudges him. Medic shakes his head. He looked pissed off; he doesn't seem like he wanted to speak. He places the clipboard down and takes the stethoscope from his neck and prepares to listen to my heart.

"I... I'm sorry about what happened. I just-"

"You have nothing to apologize for." Medic interupts me. "It's our fault for not paying enough attention to your whereabouts." He stares at me, still unhappy, and explains himself plainly.

"But, it was-"

"Silence." He hushes me and pushes the drum to my chest and closes his eyes. I blush as I look up at the other mercs, and give them a look, showing my confusion and concern for Medic's attitude. The shake their heads and shrug their shoulders. Heavy sighs. "You're still quite anxious..." Medic mumbles to me. "I'll do a proper check up later when you're more relaxed." He takes the stethoscope away and places it back over his neck, sighs and stands up. "For now... do not leave this room. In fact, don't even stand up. You may think you are okay once you become more awake, but you need to stay here and rest anyways. Understand?"

I look up at him. I don't know why, but out of all the people in the room, he's the one I wanted to explain myself to right now. I reach for him weakly. "Medic, I-"

"Understand?" He enunciates. Medic's sudden authoritative tone made me feel quite embarrassed.

"Y-yes! Of... of course." I look down, easily defeated, and nod.

"Good." He whips around to Heavy. "Make sure she stays put." He then grabs his clipboard and starts walking around the bed by the other mercs. The men watch as Medic walks out of the room, closing the door behind him.

Sniper turns to the rest of us. "What the fuck was his problem?" He puts his hands in his pockets and shakes his head, looking a bit baffled by the interaction. Demoman sighs and turns to his teammate.

"Dunnae you get it, lad? This coulda been a lot worse. You know what the damn problem is." He looks over at me. "I don't blame you, kiddo, but you shoulda asked before you went off snooping.

"I...I'm sorry, I thought I would...I..."I sink down into my pillow a bit, feeling guilty and embarrased about my careless endeavor. "I wanted to talk to Soldier, and I couldn't find him." I technically did tell Scout I was going somewhere, but I feel bringing it up now might get him in trouble.

Sniper notices my sheepishness and gives me a small smile. He brings his hand up to me and pats my head. "Don't worry about explaining anything right now, just rest. Lord knows what those bloddy bogans have done to you." His hand lingers for a moment more before he takes it away. Demoman nods and sighs, .

"Aye... he's right, but when we have our next meeting, we've gotta establish some regulations. " He smiles at me like how Sniper did. He pats Sniper's back and they back away and turn toward the door. "Listen to your doctor, lass, and get well soon."

I watch as they wave and close the door. I turn to Heavy and sigh, feeling the tension has finally been relieved. "They must be pretty upset about what I did..." I chuckle.

Heavy looks at me with a pitiful smile, then frowns a bit. "I don't blame you for being scared and getting lost, but... the team can not risk it happening again." I nod, and look down at the bedsheets.

"I'm sorry I caused trouble. I won't do it again."

"I know." He pats my head as I turn over in the bed. "Don't think about it right now, just reast as Doktor told you. I will be right here when you wake up."

I feel my throbbing head being soothed as he touches my hair. My eyelids feel heavy, and I drift off into a heavy slumber yet again.

○○○○

A/N
Hey guys! Sorry this chapter was a little shorter than I wanted it to be. It's meant to be a small rest between the previous two chapters and the ones coming up next.

I'm also excited to say thank you to everyone who have been commenting and sharing my little book! I got a couple nice messages from people who really like where it's going and even got some fanart! I'm actually going to answer a question for the person who asked me on my Instagram (at bynarri)

Q: Will there be romance with every merc?

A: yes! I know it isn't very romance right now, but I like a slow burn, so I'm going to have some plot points figured out before the romance really begins.

If you guys have any questions about where the book is heading, I'll answer what I can if you comment on this chapter. Thank you for the question and thank you all for reading this book!