Chapter 20

●●●●

"Little girl in Red Base? Why would they have child in facility like that?"

"I keep telling you this, dummkopf, it was not a child, it was a grown woman. Maybe mid twenties. Pay attention."

"A woman in her twenties still seems like a bloody child to me. She's hardly got any experience in the world, much less our world."

"I could teach the broad a thing or two about my world, I bet, right Dell? D'ya think she was cute?"

"You're outta line, boy. Can it!"

The group of men in blue are bickering non stop about this new character in the enemy facility. Dell, the Engineer of this group, looks to the rest of the boys standing around him for advice. "Now, this is serious, y'all. That girl is a big problem. We don't know anything about her."

"I do believe that it is definitely strange that she is there, but I do believe that she's just a harmless girl. She seemed physically unwell; lightweight for her height and build. She was fairly easy to deal with before we were ambushed. I see no issue with her."  The Doctor says. He begins mumbling, more to himself than others, and starts to write down something incomprehensible on a notepad.

"Fritz has a point." The Sniper says, giving the distracted doctor a nod. "They must be taking care of her. She might be sick or too frail to leave the base. The boss might not know they're protecting her. An even more compelling reason for us to learn more about her."

"Only other thing Red team have been protecting is Intel." The blue Heavy speaks.  "She must be valuable as well."

"Good point. You think she's been there long? Or if they got to know her well? Like, really well." As the Scout is rubbing his hands together thinking his nefarious thought, the Spy comes up and grabs him by the ear, tugging him.

"Your perverted mind is the only reason you're sitting at this table, isn't it, Jeremy?" He lightly smacks the back of Jeremy's head, and the boy glares at him.

"Hey, Fuck off, Spy, I'm the only one asking the real questions here! I mean, there's nine of those guys, just like us, right. She had to have done somethin' with someone by now."

"Enough," The Demoman slams his drink on the table, hushing up the room.  "We need to think of a plan. I don't know why you lads are even cutting up like we didn't just fail our mission." He takes a swig and sets it down gently again.

Spy nods. "You're absolutely correct. But, how do we know this woman is even of any use to us? The doctor and toymaker are the only ones that even saw her. How do we know this girl is relevant to the our mission?"

The men think about this, and whisper among themselves. Fritz stands up as well. "This could be a good opportunity, actually. They bothered coming to save her, that proves that she is valuable enough. " He goes through his chicken scratched notes and hums to himself.

"She's healthy enough to be tortured. I know how to keep someone in her condition alive for long enough Let me deal with her and we might be able to force out some information if she has any." His lips curl and he bites his lower lip. "I haven't had a patient so small in a long time."

"I agree with Fritz." The Soldier lays his hands flat on the table as he stands next to the doctor. "We should at least get her to talk, then hold her hostage until the Reds give us the damn briefcase. Blutarch gets his deed, and we get paid in full."

The mercs look at each other and nod, liking the conclusion they've come to.

"It's better than what we've been doing, and we get a cute girl out of it, nice!" Scout stands up and pats Pyro on the back. Pyro just mumbles and nods in excitement.

"Alright. It's settled." Demoman smiles. "Now, just got to think of a plan to grab the lass."

●●●●

Making it to the infirmary, Soldier and Scout bust through the double doors, startling the Medic inside. "SHES DEAD DOCTOR, SHE DIED IN MY ARMS."  Soldier shoves the girl into the Medic's arms suddenly, and begins to wail and sob. "THOSE BLU BASTARDS WILL PAY, GOD DAMN IT!"

"You found her like this?!" He looks down at Soldier and the girl in confusion.

Scout pushed Soldier aside. "Cut it out, idiot, she's not dead!"  He places his hand on the girl's head. "She passed out after we got her, but she isn't waking up. You gotta fix her. Please, Doc!"

Medic begins to understand, and holds the girl upright, and walks over to the infirmary beds, placing her down in the one she claimed previously. He then takes his gloves off and feels her face, and tries for a pulse, being relieved to find one. He clicks his tongue, then glares at Scout and the still crying Soldier. "Soldier, go fetch the others. Scout come and tell me exactly what happened."

Soldier stood up and ran over to the bed. He gave the girl a salute, and wiped a tear away. "ANYTHING FOR A FELLOW SOLDIER!" And he ran off. Scout quickly came over and sat opposite of Medic next to the bed and began to speak and watch the Doc check her vitals.

"...and when I beat up all of those Blu guys and Soldier was, uh, there, she got really dizzy er something and fell on top of me. I had Soldier carry her since I was busy making sure bad guys weren't about to pop up outta nowhere, but we made it here in one piece. And, uh...yea, thats the whole thing."

Medic looks at Scout with a reasonable doubt, regretting he asked Scout of all people to talk for the girl, but takes note of the story with a nod. "So the enemy knows of her existence now..." He places a warm, damp towel over her forehead and covers her body in a blanket, placing her hands outside of the covers. "This isn't good."

Busting in the double doors is Soldier, followed by Heavy.

"Doktor!!" He runs up beside his friend and looks down at (Y/n) with a sorrowful look. "Girl is dead?"

Medic sighs. "She's alive, my friend. Soldier, stop saying she's dead!" He glares at the bucket head and continues writing a list of things on his clipboard.

"Oh. Слава Богу (Slava Bogu)*. When will she wake up?"

"She's stable, just very tired. Running around lost in the base was more excercize than she could handle. And the stress of the unexpected company may have left her overwhelmed." Medic places the board next to her on the end table and stands up. "I suspect her to wake up tomorrow morning or later. She won't wake up soon."

"So, she's gonna be alright? She's not gonna die or nothing?" He takes his cap off and scratches his head.

"I doubt she will die, but I'll be here just in case something happens. She's been through a great deal of stress today, so the best option for us is to let her rest, and to not try to wake her up any longer."

Soldier and Scout both sigh, and Heavy looks at Medic. "Very good Doktor. I will stay with you." Heavy walks to the bed right beside Y/n's and sits down, making the whole thing creak at his weight. Medic nods at Heavy, then looks at the other two.

"You two have done well. We will take care of her from here."

"Alright, Doc. Uh, call me over if she wakes up, alright? I'll try and find the rest of the guys and maybe tell them about everything. See ya. Thanks..."

Scout looks at Y/n one last time, then turns to walk away. Soldier stares at the girl and grits his teeth, then goes with Scout. The men leave to room, leaving Heavy, Medic, and Y/n alone.

"This girl seems to find trouble wherever she goes." Medic sighs and turns to Heavy, who still looks very concerned. "Something the matter, my friend?"

"Soldier told me that little girl was fighting Blu team. She may have found out too much for us to explain away this time." Heavy scratches his chin. "What do we do when she starts asking questions?"

Medic turns back to the bed and nods. "That is a good question... We'll have to wait and see."

●●●●

*Слава Богу= God bless, or thank God