Chapter Twenty: July 11th, 1968

Lorelei's point of view:

Morning hit and I realized that in two hours, Trúc would be there to pick me up. My mother was asleep beside me, we had dozed off as we sat together last night after I got back. Her eyes were still closed, so I snuck quietly out of bed and went for my clothes. Like a mother would, she had moved all of them into the dresser the hotel supplied. I fished out a blue dress and figured that was fitting enough for a nice brunch.

As I sat down on the other bed, I began to slip the white high heels on my feet. My mother woke up at the same time, her eyes flitting over to me as she went on her side. She lay in bed tiredly as she watched my putting the shoes on and smiling at her as she woke up. "Did you sleep well?" I asked as I stood from the bed. She nodded her head and a smile turned up on her face.

"I did. How about yourself?" She asked kindly. My mother was this angel from up above that came from the worst part of history. I suppose that was what made her such an amazing woman, to be able to be saintly in a world with a corrupted mindset. It was rare to find a person that wasn't susceptible to the propaganda of the worldly matters.

"Alright, I suppose. I wish I didn't have to go and flirt my way into some info," I replied with a chuckle. She laughed a little in return and sat herself up.

"You'll do fine, a girl must do what she has to do. I'll be calling your father this morning to ask when he's coming here. You want me to relay any messages?" She asked. I shook my head and told her to just tell him that I missed him and couldn't wait to play catch when he got here. She chuckled at this and promised she'd get the message to him.

"I better go. The car should be here in ten minutes. Love you, bye," I said to her after a while more of chatting while she sat in bed. I stepped out of the room and walked down the stairs of the hotel. When I reached the lobby, I saw Trúc waiting there, leaning against the door like some suave cowboy.

"Just in time. I'm impressed," I said to him in my improved Italian accent as I walked to him. He chuckled and smirked at me. He tipped his hat off to me and I took his arm in hand to get the flirtation and allure started.

"Shall we?" He asked. I nodded and followed him out of the hotel and to his car. The door shut and we were off within a couple of seconds.

"So, where is this restaurant?" I asked.

"It's a very special one. One that only a certain few people in Vietnam have access to. You're lucky you've found a man who can get you in. It's secretive but it's wonderful and the food is simply delightful," he replied. I nodded but felt nervous. What exactly did this restaurant have to have to be so secret and exclusive? I found myself thinking I was getting sucked into this whole new world that was so dangerous that I couldn't even comprehend it.

After about fifteen minutes, the car stopped and pulled up to a building. It seemed a little run-down to be honest. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting from what he told me. All I could assume was that I was missing something here. My eyes were filled with confusion as Trúc left the back seat and opened the door for me. He took my hand in his and lifted me out of the car. My eyes searched around and it seemed like an inner-city area of Vietnam.

"I know it doesn't seem like what I told you. Give me a moment and follow me. All good things come to those who wait," he replied. I chuckled and as he opened the squeaky, shabby door, my mind went to the inside. It looked like a cheap convenience store that I saw in America at times, around the less rich parts of Washington. I quietly followed Trúc down the floor and to the desk. He went to the clerk and pulled out his wallet, showing him his identification. The clerk scanned his eyes over a piece of paper that seemed to resemble a list. He then nodded and handed him back the wallet.