Chapter Nine: June 18th 1968

Lorelei's point of view:

"General Nguyễn Ngọc Loan!" One of the Vietnamese sergeants called in a loud voice as he announced the general. The soldiers all stood prim and proper in single file rows as they parted ways and the general walked through them.

He was a thin man, with a face that reflected the battalion and travesty he had endured. His expression was austere and intimidating, seemingly capable of violence. I didn't know the ways of this general, his methodology or his ways of strategy, but something about him seemed dangerous. I had no recollection of reading about him, but I would find out eventually if I was right or wrong.

Jacob and I stood together, as straight as we could get our spines to be, as General Loan approached us. His posture was beyond impeccable and his stance was professional. No one else looked intimidated but me, even Jacob was unaffected by Loan's insatiably deadpan behaviour.

"General Loan, Colonel Jefferson Powell, Captain Max Keller and Commander Kurt Nash," General Abrams introduced. Jacob and I looked straight ahead, although there were times I glanced at my father to see how he was doing. We all saluted him, and he did the same back.

"Along with us, General Jack Horowitz, Lieutenant Colonel Hilda Horowitz, and Fleet Admirals Jacob and Lorelei Horowitz," Nash said. I saluted Loan once again.

"I've heard of your family. Hopefully you work as well as you did twenty years ago," Loan said to my parents with an air of rudeness to him. My eyes partially widened when I heard his attitude, but I remained silent. It was what I was told to do when we were still on the plane, which was to remain quiet until I was alone or with people I could outlet my frustrations on via speaking.

"Oh, don't worry about that. I never fail, that is, unless I have to," Father said to him. We all knew he had a tendency to be defiant towards authority. Loan didn't seem to be influenced by that, and walked away with his Lieutenant.

"Alright, you guys can relax now," I heard Max say. I took a breathe of relief and let my shoulders go down by a mile. I hated standing like that, it made my back hurt. I knew it shouldn't have, but it did and I detested it.

"Follow us and we will show you to your tents," Colonel Powell said to us. We followed him across the field, walking silently in the hot sun of the field. They lead my parents into their tent, and Jacob and I were given ours. My bags were beside my small cot and his were by his own.

"I can't wait to spend time with that general. He seems like a real peach," Jacob said sarcastically. I laughed and sat myself down on the cot, relieved that I could finally sit comfortably.

"I'm sure there is worse that we can deal with," I replied. I unbuttoned my uniform and hung the jacket up on the little coatrack. Jacob scoffed and began to situate his little area around his bed.

"Whatever. I'm going to walk around the base for a while. Want to come?" He asked. I shook my head and watched as he left the tent. I took out a book and sat on my cot, beginning to read.

About half an hour later, my mother made her way into the tent with a smile on her face. I greeted her and placed the book down beside me as she sat down on the cot beside me. I was immediately confused, because the look on her face showed she had something on her mind.

"May I help you?" I asked. She let out a laugh and took a breathe.

"Something has been bothering you all day. Care to elaborate?" She asked. As soon as she said it I knew what she was referring to. Was it that obvious that I missed Mihn? I tried my best and more to hide it from everyone around me. Then again, my mother was intuitive, especially with my siblings and I. Every time there was a difference, even the slightest of them, she would notice. Sometimes it was terrifying, because she would be the only one to notice. We didn't even have to be around her all day. It was like a sixth sense for her.