Chapter Four: June 15th 1968

Lorelei's point of view:

Two days went by after the mix-up at the mine. I mostly stayed up in my room when I wasn't training with Jacob and my father. In my bedroom I would only think of one thing: the guard that let me go. He was constantly on my mind the last forty eight hours.

For some odd reason, the man, whoever he was, resonated with me. I didn't know why, I didn't know how, he just did. That was what scared me in the long run because I had no idea. Not having a clue was the worst possible feeling for me. Then this man, this anonymous Vietnamese guard, has stayed in my mind and has stuck there like gum in my hair. It may have been his sculpted features, or it could have been the sympathetic look in his dark eyes when he let me go. Maybe it was both. Again, I had no idea.

Rain poured down on the window pane as I watched on the Cleopatra chair. The rain was soothing me at this point, as I had gone two days completely wired with wonderment and confusion. I wished constantly that I had never fallen out of that mine. I wished that I could be back home with my sisters, going to the beach and having a good time. Yet I'm here, and I have a job to do. I mustn't lose sight of that because of some man who helped me get out of a sticky situation.

A knock on my door took me away from my viewing of the window. I took a little breathe and leaped out of the chair, striding over to the door. When I opened the door I was greeted by my father in the entrance. It was late evening, so he was dressed in more casual wear than usual.

"You've locked yourself up here for two days. I'm done wondering. I need to know what's going on with you," he put it bluntly. I didn't think his question, although I knew it was coming, would be so straightforward.

"Nothing's wrong. I'm tired," I said. He wouldn't take that for an answer and he barged into the room, passing me as he walked in. I sighed and shut the door as he sat himself down on the bed. I went back to my chair. Over the course of my short time here I found I really liked that chair.

"We're alone now. You can tell me what is really on your mind," he ordered. I sighed again and leaned my head on my hand, looking away from him.

"It's the guard," I replied simply. Even though I was entirely close with my father, I didn't want anyone around to belittle me for the way I thought of a man who I hadn't even spoken a proper word to. I was convinced no one would understand what exactly was on my mind in its full effect.

"The one that let you go?" He asked. I nodded and crossed one leg over the other. I took my hand away from my head and sat a little straighter. I didn't know why I couldn't sit still, but I just couldn't get comfortable.

"Yes. He's been on my mind a while. I wonder why he let me go," I replied. He nodded and we were silent for a few short moments.

"Was he about your age?" He asked. I shrugged, it was dark and I couldn't make out his aging signs. Based on a spontaneous observation I would've said he was at least a few years older than me, but no more than ten I would assume.

"No more than ten years older," I said. He nodded and it was as if just by that answer he knew the solutions to all my problems.

"He's most likely on the same page as you. He's young, young people are more merciful than the more experienced. My guess is he didn't want any trouble that night, so he let you go. I should thank the man if I ever see him. At least there's some good flesh on this land," he replied. I chuckled and shook my head at him. He wasn't a very prejudiced man, but sometimes he could really hate someone and their race if they caused enough harm.

"I suppose you're right. I'll try to let it go," I retorted. He nodded at me with an approving look on his face. He was about to say something else, but his laugh caused him to stall it. Whatever it was my father thought it was absolutely ridiculous.