Chapter Eight: June 18th 1968

Lorelei's point of view:

Nine in the morning approached and I was just getting out of bed. Soon, I would begin my training for the day, and then be free to do what I pleased for the remainder of it. Although, it was impossible for me to do what I really wanted without seeming very inappropriate. I hadn't seen Mihn for two days, not since dinner, and all I wanted was to tell him how sorry I was for behaving the way I did, and all because I couldn't stand not knowing something.

"Lorelei, now that you're awake, we need you to get packing. No training today, we are being relocated," father said as I walked into the dining room and began to sit in my regular spot at the big table. I stopped as soon as he said it.

"What do you mean?" I asked, trying not to seem frantic. I didn't want to leave, not after all that had transpired here. I couldn't leave here now, we've only been here for a little while.

"It's not safe for us here anymore. We are being deployed in Saigon. It's there we will begin our first mission as well," he explained. My mother and Jacob weren't there, they were probably packing up as we spoke.

"I have to go somewhere," I said. It was all I could think about right now, and although my dad seemed confused as to what I meant, he didn't protest. I ran out of the house, not bothering to get dressed. I was still wearing my robe and nightgown as I hopped in the car and began to drive out of the yard.

The drive was totally silent while it went on. I didn't know why I was doing this, but all I could think was that I had to before I left forever. My heart wasn't ready to let all of this go just yet. I wanted one more visit with Mihn before I actually never saw him again. I knew exactly why we couldn't be here anymore, the North was under communist rule right now, and the South were our allies. Even then, when I knew I had less of a chance of dying there, I didn't want to leave. As I thought of this, I kept driving, ignoring the curious passersby wondering about the crazy woman speeding in a night gown.

I skidded into the driveway of Mihn's house and nearly rolled out of the car. I ran to the door and knocked on it resolutely. Mihn was the one to answer the door after a few more seconds. When he saw me in the doorway, dressed in what I slept in and looking more unkempt than he had probably ever seen me, his eyes widened.

"I'm leaving today, for Saigon. That's in North Vietnam. I have a feeling I won't see you again after this, even if I hate that. So I thought I would see you before I go in a few hours." My voice seemed to take a mind of its own when I spoke. I thought of all this, but what I planned on saying was 'hello, I'm leaving tomorrow. I thought I would say goodbye'. Things didn't work out that way, it would seem.

"You're safer there," he said to me. I was so tired of his simple sentences that made it seem like he was totally disinterested in what I was saying.

"It doesn't matter to me right now. I just wanted to see you one last time," I replied. He nodded and cleared the doorway for me so I could walk in. I hesitated a moment but then stepped in his house.

"Where are you going again?" Mihn asked. I breathed heavily, attempting to calm myself down from such an adrenaline-filled ride up here.

"Saigon. Apparently we start our missions there as well, one a little more serious then the mining one," I replied. He nodded and handed me a glass of water. I didn't drink it right away, preoccupied with all that was on my mind.

"I'll be fighting with the North, I have to," he said. I nodded, knowing full well he wouldn't be fighting with me. It broke my heart knowing that soon my one goal would be to kill him and other men alongside Mihn.

"It's not fair," I said. He sighed and put his glass of water down on the little coffee table.

"Why not? Why do you care if you se me again?" He asked. I didn't know how to answer, really I didn't. Why did I care if I saw him again? Mihn saved me twice, and that may have sealed a sort of 'bond', so to speak, but that shouldn't create such an attachment equalizing the one that I was clearly stuck with.