Chapter Twenty-Nine: December 7th 1968

Lorelei's point of view:

Today was my wedding. Oh my God. Today was my wedding. Here I was, standing there, looking out the window of my home. The snow had fallen, and cars were pulling up. Our wedding was going to be in our yard, seeing as Mihn and I wanted to do what my father and mother did. Since he was Jewish and she was catholic, they mixed their traditions up. Mihn and I did that too, since him and his mother weren't Jewish. They weren't catholic either, they weren't really anything.

The venue was half-Jewish and half-catholic. The aspects of the Jewish part was the chuppah, which is a canopy in traditional Jewish weddings that the bride and groom must stand under. We also had a rabbi marry us instead of a priest, who would present us with the wine used in the ceremony. There was also the stepping on the glass thing. The rest would be a regular wedding. I was only half-Jewish and I really didn't care what the ceremony was as long as I was marrying Mihn in the end.

The door to my room knocked and opened to reveal Carina. She was about to pop that baby right out of her. She was due any day now, and she told us not to worry. Mihn and I said we'd keep the wedding postponed until the baby was born, but she refused and said she'd rather it be done when we wanted it to. So, our wedding went off on schedule. Her due date wasn't for another week, so we hoped that was a good enough time frame.

"You look wonderful! Are you ready?" Carina asked me as she smiled brightly. She was wearing one of the bridesmaid gowns, since she was one. It was a dust pink colour, very light and humble, but it was beautiful.

"As I'll ever be. Is he waiting?" I asked. She nodded and took my hands in hers and keeping it there.

"Yes, he's there, and so is everyone else. He looks so happy, Lorelei. How did you ever manage to do it?" She asked with a laugh. I chuckled and looked up at my sister modestly.

"How did you do it?" I asked. She let out a small laugh and turned away, her arms pulled me into a hug as my dad walked in. She went off to where the other bridesmaids were, which were all three of my sisters and Rebekka. Mihn's groomsmen were Jacob, Peter, Max and Rein. He didn't really have anyone else to ask.

"Hey baby, my God, you look amazing. I have some beautiful daughters," he said to me. I chuckled and hugged him tightly. He linked his arm around mine so he could give me away to Mihn. He seemed more scared than I was. "You ready to go?" He asked. I nodded my head.

"Always," I replied. He nodded and we left the room, my bouquet of roses and lilies in had while my father held the other. My dress, which went to my knees in a ball gown style, brushed against my skin as I stepped down the stairs. The bow that tied around my waist and held the dress together was bouncing a little as we made our way outside. My father offered me the small coat that came with it so I would be warm, but I refused it. "I'm fine."

"Are you sure? It's freezing," he said to me. I nodded my head and smiled. My body felt so warm and fuzzy that no snow was going to ruin that for me. All I wanted to do was let Mihn see the whole of my dress, even if it was really cold out.

The music cut in and my father held me close. We watched as my bridesmaids all filed out, my heart was exploding in my chest every time one of them stepped out and walked down the aisle. It was dark outside and the stars were out, accompanying the beautiful, innocent white snow that fell on the ground. Rows of chairs all sat in an orderly fashion as posts with fairy lights on them brightened my way to my future husband. The whitened canopy at the altar coupled with blue clover and white lilies met me at the end. When my father and I were facing the way, I saw Mihn there, standing and waiting for me to come and see him.

My father and I began to walk and as I took a breathe, we were out there. My senses were all running wild and my vision was cloudy, but perfect. The snow dipped and soaked my skin as I felt the ice bite at my bare parts. I didn't care though, because my mind completely devoted itself to Mihn at the altar. His hands were held together as he watched me walking there, my father holding me as I tried to retain my balance in these straining shoes.