Chapter 13

"Married? How about me? Can I get married too?"

My lolo let out his soft laugh and pat the top of my head. I was sitting on his lap, wearing my Superman pajamas.

"Of course, you can. " Sagot niya naman, nakangiti.

"Really?" My eyes lit up. "Can I ask anyone to marry me?" Narinig ko ang pagtawa ni Lolo. I honestly don't know what's funny to what I said.

"Hindi, anak. You only marry someone you love." I twitched my brows at him, confused. "Pero sa ngayon, kailangan mo muna kumain para lumaki kang mabait at hindi makulit."

I was catching my breath giggling when he tickled me. He really knows my spot. He carried me to the dining area and let me sit on the chair. My Lola gently slid the plate with the food already prepared on it. I had no choice but to eat what's on it or else I can't go out to the fields to play with Milo, my Lolo's dog and my best pal.

"Pinanood mo na naman 'to ng cartoons? Nauubos na ang ingles ko sa batang 'to." Sabi ni Lolo kay Lola.

"Kapag tanghali lang naman dahil masyadong mainit sa labas. Kung hahayaan mo, e buong araw din 'yan maglalaro sa playground."

I scrunched my nose and held my breathe when I took a bite of the sliced carrots. I scooped a spoonful of rice and egg and stuffed everything inside my mouth para hindi ko malasahan ang gulay.

"Hinay hinay lang 'nak," Paalala ni Lola. She wiped the side of my lips with her thumb.

"Very good Tres!" Pinisil ni Lolo ang pisngi ko nang makitang ubos ko na ang pagkain ko.

I returned the smile at him. Seeing them happy makes me happy too. My life has always been carefree and happy because my grandparents raised me in that way. My parents were busy with our small business in town and of course, taking care of my siblings.

Ever since our youngest was born, my grandmother started to live with us to help my Mom. Yet when the time came she needed to go back to the farm, I felt sad of her leaving us. She was always there to take care of me.

"Gusto mo bang sumama kay Lola, anak?" I almost jumped out of my seat when Mom asked me that. I looked at my grandmom who is staring at me with bright eyes like she was also excited of the chance I am going with her.

My Lola was the kindest and the most patient person. While Lolo seemed strict but he was always just mindful of the people around him. The people in our village adored them. They mean so much not just to me but also to everyone.

"Is lolo coming back?" I asked Lola as I sat down on the edge of the stairs, kinukusot pa ang aking mga mata dahil kagigising lang.

I was hugging the teddy bear na rinegalo ni Papa sa akin. Si Lola ay nagluluto at umupo ako roon para panoorin siya. She turned around to nod and gave me a smile.

One night turned to several nights that Lolo didn't come back. I went back to my parents' house dahil kailangan bantayan ni Lola si Lolo sa ospital. Until the day came that my Dad told me that we will go back to the farm. I was so excited to finally see both of my grandparents.

My troubled heart sank when I only found Lola there. Not that I am not happy to see her, but the endless tears flooding her cheeks hurts my chest. She wiped it with the back of her hand and hugged me. From that day on, I never saw Lolo again. I was missing him so much. I was thinking of Lola too, how sad would it be for her. I never wanted to leave her side because I knew she needed me the most this time.

But it was hard for me too. I lost one of the person close to my heart. He had taught me a lot of things. Everything. From brushing my teeth, tying my shoelace, picking the perfect color of socks to match my polo, feeding the chickens, feeding Milo, teaching Milo to behave. My grandparents has always been my second parents and my second home... more like first.