3: LOVE MAKES A DEAL

The spring sun shines down on me, and I'm glad that Vera and I have the chance to get out of the house together

The spring sun shines down on me, and I'm glad that Vera and I have the chance to get out of the house together. It's a beautiful day out, one that I don't want to waste stuck inside my house with my two sisters and my parents and my niece. The stroller handle is warm in my hands as I push it through the Swellview Park. Vera is probably fast asleep in the stroller, so I peek down at her to see her passed out, her head resting on her shoulder. Honestly, I don't know how babies are able to sleep everywhere and anywhere, but they do. Vera always falls asleep in the weirdest positions, too. I guess it works for them.

A sweet breeze blows through the park, ruffling the cotton skirt of my dress and the green trees around me. Fiona the Freakazoid, my younger sister, questioned me on my attire for taking Vera out for a walk, but I told her that wearing this dress was my decision and that she shouldn't question me about it. She muttered something to me as she walked away, but knowing the Freakazoid, she didn't really care that much about my choice is clothing. She only cared about getting on my nerves.

Fiona was the one who called herself that nickname a few years ago when she first learned how to read. Molly and I questioned her on it many times, but she said that she's finally embracing who she is, which is a freak. Her words, not mine. I kind of feel bad when I call her the Freakazoid, but if it doesn't bother her, then it shouldn't bother me. Besides, that's definitely how she acts about anything, like the time when she made everyone evacuate the house just because of a spider.

An older looking couple passes by Vera and me, shooting me a dirty look after they look inside the stroller. I give them one back, picking up my speed so that I can get away from these nosy people. Things like that have been happening to me ever since I decided to be a babysitter for my older sister, Molly, six months ago, when she had Vera. But the unnecessary bad looks I get every time I'm out with Vera? Very uncalled for. She's not even my child, but it is very common for people to judge young moms. I hate it with every fiber of my being.

Maybe it's time for us to leave the park. More people have started coming out of the holes they live in to experience a nice day outside. My skin starts to crawl with the feeling of eyes on my back. I glance over my shoulder but don't see anyone very close to me. It's probably my mind making it up, but I do know that Vera and I should leave. It feels like we're not welcome here anymore. I've felt that way before, and I don't want Vera growing up thinking she isn't wanted.

The bright sun slowly wanes away as a cloud floats lazily through the sky, and a bird chirps loudly somewhere in the trees. The blue is overshadowed by the oncoming storm that's supposed to be coming in the next few days. This is probably the last good day before the spring showers come, which is the main reason why I wanted to take Vera out for a walk in the park. Unfortunately for us, it was ruined by annoying people. Most everything is ruined by annoying people.

Walking in a circle, I start heading back to the car. On our way back, we pass a couple sitting in the grass. The boyfriend is quietly talking to his girlfriend, and she is crying very hard, so I hurry past them. I so do not want to hear him breaking up with the girl because it'll bring back some terrible memories. Besides, I also don't want them to wake Vera up. Other than that, the walk to my car is short, so I quickly unstrap Vera from the stroller once I make it there. Swinging the car door open, I try not to wake Vera up as I jostle her into the car seat right next to her baby bag. She sleeps through the entire thing, and I thank God that she does. She's not the best person to be around right after she wakes up.