14: LOCKER OF LOVE

Weekends always go by way too quickly, don't they? I need more than two days to relax and prepare myself for the next week of school and work

Weekends always go by way too quickly, don't they? I need more than two days to relax and prepare myself for the next week of school and work. My plate is way too full for me to even relax properly, but that's beside the point. I want just a few more days to have before I have to go back to my normal life. Is that too much to ask? Probably, but I don't care much right now.

I couldn't even focus on my homework after my date with Henry. Thoughts of Dr. Guinivere and what I'm calling our near kiss plagued my mind the entire weekend. Henry and I didn't have time to talk about the Dr. Guinivere situation because we were running late after the date. Eleven o'clock quickly approached, and I had to race him home. Then, I had to watch Vera the rest of the weekend while Molly was off at a small weekend getaway with some of her college buddies. 

School isn't the right place to talk about personal things, I know that. There are too many people around with wandering gazes and listening ears to even try to talk about Dr. Guinivere. I'm not sure how Henry, Charlotte, and Jasper ever talked about Captain Man and Kid Danger when they were surrounded by the whole school. I don't want to be the one that accidentally messes things up. But I still want to know more about this before the bad feeling in my stomach gets worse.

The end of the day is finally here, and Henry, Jasper, and I race out of the classroom together. While Henry's been looking tired, there has been a sparkle in his eyes that hasn't been there before. Jasper chats to the two of us as we walk down the hallway, talking about random things he did over the weekend. I can tell that Henry isn't listening to him, though, so I nudge him with my shoulder.

Henry glances over at me, his unfocused eyes darkened by the circles beneath them. My heart breaks for him. I don't know how it feels to have parents fighting, but I want him to know that I'm here for him, no matter what. Even though I told him I don't like PDA or anything associated with it, I reach toward him and lace our hands together. He smiles softly at me and then looks up.

I follow his gaze. Charlotte is standing at his locker with the janitor, chatting about something. She looks awkward, so I speed up, dragging Henry behind me so that I could get to her to save her from that depressing conversation with the janitor. She smiles when she sees the three of us coming. 

"Hey, Charlotte!" I say happily, stopping beside her. "What are you doing here?"

"Henry told me to meet him here," she says, cocking an eyebrow. "He didn't tell you what he's doing?"

"Um, no." I take my hand out of Henry's, looking up at him. There's a sheepish grin on his face, and for a second there, I want to let my angry feelings go, but then I remember that he kept something from me. I don't like that at all. "Did he happen to tell Jasper, too?"

"Of course!" Jasper says excitedly. He has a wide grin on his face as he gazes at Henry. "I'm his best friend, so he tells me everything."

"Not everything," Henry mutters.