31: LOVE LIVES ANOTHER DAY

Late afternoon sunlight shines on my back and on my dark hair as I pluck cucumbers from the green plant, placing them in the basket sitting on the ground next to me

Late afternoon sunlight shines on my back and on my dark hair as I pluck cucumbers from the green plant, placing them in the basket sitting on the ground next to me. I'm too lazy to stand up and move around my garden as I reap what I sowed earlier this year. Birds chatter around me, lifting my mood up ever so slightly. Henry has been on my mind for the past hour and a half, which was the whole reason why I came out here and started grabbing my fresh vegetables. Well, that, and I needed to get them before the birds start eating my veggies again. The scarecrow that Vera and I attempted to make together hasn't really done its job, probably because it's a stick figure made from pink pipe cleaners.

Henry and I see each other at school, but it's still as awkward as it was before. I want to be his friend again, I want to be in his life again, but it's not looking like that will ever happen. It seems like he avoids me at school, hiding away in his locker when I walk past it or making Jasper and Charlotte stand in front of him to block me from his line of sight. I wish he would talk to me. I wish I would talk to him. 

Throwing another cucumber into the basket, I sit back on my heels, sweat dripping down the back of my neck uncomfortably from the dark hair that's burning my scalp. Unfortunately for me, the cucumber snaps in half because I threw it too hard into the basket, and I let out a soft sigh. Tears prick my eyes at the sight of the broken cucumber, hating myself for being a weak person. It feels like that every time something goes wrong, I start crying, and it sucks. 

I screw my eyes closed and take a deep breath, allowing the sweet breeze to work its way through my body, taking the pain with it. In my mind's eye, I watch as my red pain floats along the blue and gold wind, and the anger and sadness slowly drain from my body. After the fight with Dr. Guinevere last week, I decided to take some effort to allow myself some grace and to calm down when I feel my anxiety pick up. So far, it has worked pretty well, if I do say so myself. 

Slowly opening my eyes, I stare at the number of cucumbers, tomatoes, and other vegetables sitting in the basket that I have picked. I may have planted way too many vegetables for this little garden, but it's a good thing we sold some to the summer market a few months ago. Still, though, we have quite of bit of vegetables, and I'm not sure how we're going to finish them all. Maybe I'll give some to Erika and Charlotte sometime soon. 

I stand up and grab the basket, slinging it onto my arm. My legs are slightly itchy from sitting on the soft grass, but I don't let it bother me as I turn around and head toward the house. Surprisingly, Erika still wanted to be my friend after our little fight at the museum. I ended up telling her everything about the job with Ray and Henry and who they are. I trust her to not tell anyone that she knows, and it makes me feel better that I don't have to lie to her anymore about anything. 

My family is a different story, though. I haven't told them anything about my previous job at Junk 'N Stuff and how it was a front for the superhero who rules this town. I didn't tell them that my ex-boyfriend was Kid Danger and that we broke up because of a crazy villain that brainwashed him. I have the feeling deep down that they know something is going on, but they haven't questioned me about it. Yet.