29: THE ANTI-LOVE DOCTOR

Settling down on the gray couch in the living room in my house, I lean back against the soft plushy pillows Mom bought the other day

Settling down on the gray couch in the living room in my house, I lean back against the soft plushy pillows Mom bought the other day. She wasn't supposed to come back home with a new set of matching throw pillows, but she did, and to be honest, they look really good. The golden hues of the pillows contrast against the dark gray of the couch, adding a little light to the otherwise dark room. 

Mom and Dad are sitting next to each other on the couch, scrolling through their phones. Fiona has her feet propped up in the black leather chair on the other side of the room, also scrolling through her phone. Molly and Vera are situated on the ground as Vera does tummy time. I'm on the other side of the couch, trying to blend in with the cushions and pillows, wearing a pair of gray sweatpants and a random T-shirt that was probably Henry's. I couldn't get rid of the clothes he gave me even though we broke up a few months ago. 

Surprisingly, my family didn't question me on why Henry wasn't coming around anymore. Fiona probably heard the rumors from school that we weren't together, and she most likely told our parents and Molly. Fiona always heard the rumors going around school, which was how my family found out about my disastrous relationship with Mitch Bilsky. She can't quite seem to keep her big mouth shut, my little sister. 

I'm not sure why I'm even in the living room right now. It's nine on a Saturday morning, and I could be doing my homework in my room. Instead, Dad dragged me out of my room and into the living room when he heard me walking around my room after I woke up. I thought we were going to watch a show together, but everyone else besides Molly, Vera, and me are on their phones. My own phone is sitting on the edge of the couch, face down so I don't have to see the texts from Erika or Charlotte or updates from the Kid Danger account that Henry runs on his own now. I'd rather be disconnected from the social media life people have than spiral into my doom.

A cooking show is playing on the TV, and usually, I really enjoy watching cooking shows. Today is a different story because I can't focus on it. My mind is wandering away from reality and is falling into my past lives, where I was more in tune with my emotions; where I was a better friend; where I was a nice sister; and where I wasn't afraid of allowing someone else into my life and my heart. It's not fair for the people who love me and who want to be in my life.

Focusing my eyes on the TV, I try to drown out the bad thoughts that are sprouting like evil flowers in my brain. The bright colors of the kitchen on the TV dance around the darker room, and that helps make me get distracted from the dark thoughts running through my mind. It's easy for me to fall into a bad mindset, but it's hard for me to come out of it. Maybe that's what Henry didn't like about me the most. He did mention that I was in bad moods a lot, so it's a plausible thought. 

I shouldn't think like that, though. Henry and I had a great time when we were together, but it ended, and that's okay. I mean, even though Dr. Guinevere basically brainwashed him into breaking up with me, he already had the thought in his brain. We were doomed from the start with my walls being so high.