10: LOVE ACROSS DISTANCES

My phone vibrates on Henry's coffee table just as I finish the first question on my math homework with Charlotte and Henry's help

My phone vibrates on Henry's coffee table just as I finish the first question on my math homework with Charlotte and Henry's help. Well, more like Charlotte's help because Henry keeps peeking at our math and history homework for the past half hour since he's been sitting in between the two of us. I don't bother checking my phone yet, though, because it's buried underneath my math book and history book.

"So, what did you get for number one?" Charlotte asks us, peering at me from over Henry. 

I open my mouth to respond to her, but Henry is already talking over me, acting so confident when he says, "Number one, number one, uhhhh. What'd you get?"

"I got b," Charlotte answers with a quick roll of her eyes that only I can see.

"Uh, I got b." Henry nods, a lock of his hair falling into his coffee-colored eyes. He absentmindedly brushes it away. It seems like he didn't use enough hair gel today. "So yeah, I got b."

I know exactly what he's playing at, and I think Charlotte does, too. The only reason he invited the two of us over tonight is to copy all our answers for all the homework he hasn't done in a couple days. The only reason I agreed to come over to his house is because I love hanging out with him and Charlotte. I always end up laughing somehow with them, and that's what I need right now.

"What'd you get for number two?" I ask with, raising my eyebrows at him. I know I don't have the answer yet for it, but I want to see what mischief he has up his sleeve now.

"Number two . . . oh, that was a tricky one, wasn't it?" Henry says.

"Yeah."

"So, uhh, what'd you . . . what'd you get?" he asks us.

"Y," Charlotte answers, which sounds so wrong because we don't even use that letter in any of the things we're doing right now.

"Exactly. I got y," Henry says, writing it down on his piece of paper. However, his passive face slowly morphs into a frown as he stares at the problem. "Wait, y?"

"Yeah, why are you just copying our answers?" Charlotte asks as I start to laugh. Henry shoots me a glare, making me laugh even harder.

"I'm not!" he says quickly.

"You so are!" I retort back, holding my stuff as I shift my position on the couch to face Henry. He is staring at me, a challenging look on his pretty-boy face. "We're not going to do all the work just so you can steal our answers, Henry."

"Laurel, I'm doing the work, too." Okay, he's playing that game. I don't know what's gotten into him tonight, but he seems to be taking the hard route with us. Charlotte and I glance at each other. I can see a plan forming in her mind, so I let her take the lead. "Okay, let's move on. What did you get for number three?"

"P," Charlotte answers.

"Come on," Henry says, looking at her with wide eyes.

"No, I'm serious," Charlotte tells him, standing up. She puts all her homework on the table on top of mine. "I seriously gotta pee."