30: LOVE LIES DORMANT

Blue and red lights flash around Main Street, casting it in a strange glow, as Captain Man shoves Dr

Blue and red lights flash around Main Street, casting it in a strange glow, as Captain Man shoves Dr. Guinevere into a cop car, slamming the door shut in her angry face. I'm sitting down on the uncomfortable concrete curb, watching the chaos unfold in front of me instead of helping anyone out. Before the police got here, Ray and Henry made me and Charlotte and Jasper sat it out near the scene of the crime so that the police wouldn't question us on why we were there. It didn't make sense because we were sitting here, but I didn't have the strength to go against their wishes right now. Don't get me started on where Schwoz ran off to because he ran way before we were forced to sit here together.

Hundreds of Swellveiwians are sitting or standing all along Main Street, getting questioned by the police since they were the ones who were brainwashed by Gwen. Even Henry Hart is being questioned by the police, standing right next to his father, who also got brainwashed by Gwen. He's far enough away that I can't see his facial expression, but I can tell that he keeps looking in my direction. I can't be sure if he's looking at me, though, because his best friends are sitting on either side of me. 

I deflate slightly, holding my head up in my hands. I push my glasses up onto the top of my head, not wanting to see Henry talking to the policeman about what was going on with The Anti-Love Doctor, aka Dr. Guinevere, who is most commonly known as Gwen, the criminal. I don't even want to be here anymore, and I know my family is worried about me. But I probably can't leave until Ray and Henry are done with everything so we can all debrief about what has happened so far today.

As if right on time, my phone vibrates in my pocket. I don't bother checking it. I'd be surprised if my family didn't see me on the news, fighting alongside my friends. Sure, I was wearing a mask, but I would hope that they would recognize me. That doesn't say much because no one has recognized Henry when he's Kid Danger, and all he does is wear a mask to hide his identity. I guess everyone in my town is selfish. Unless I'm the selfish one and everyone else cares about others. I don't know anymore.

Jasper nudges me with his elbow, breaking me out of my thoughts. Slowly, I look over at him, shoving my glasses back on my face. He's wearing a weird look on his face like he's sorry for me, and that makes my heart jump in my chest. I don't need his sympathy. I don't want his sympathy at all. "Are you okay, Laurel?" he asks, surprising me. It must show on my face because he cracks a tired-looking grin at me, something I've never seen before. "Why are you surprised that I care about you?"

"Because I am always mean to you."

He smiles at me and wraps an arm around my shoulder, squeezing me tightly to his side. For a second there, I want to gag and pull away from him and scream, but I don't. I allow him to side-hug me even though I'm dying on the inside. "It doesn't seem like it," he says, his annoying voice right in my ear, "but you're my friend. Sure, you're mean and rude and blunt and --"

"Is there anything nice you can say about me?"

He chuckles, but I'm not laughing. I already know I'm those things and more. Why does he have to bring it back up? "You're a very loyal friend. You make sure that we're happy before you are. You are -- were such an amazing girlfriend to Henry," he says, and I look down at the blacktop of the road. My teared-up eyes trace the cracks spreading along Main Street, heading toward the horde of people. I stop myself before finding Henry's feet. "You're an amazing girl, Laurel, and I don't know how you can't see that."