7: ISOLATED LOVE

The sun is high in the afternoon sky as I step out of Molly's car

The sun is high in the afternoon sky as I step out of Molly's car. Slamming the car door shut, I walk to the driver's side and watch as Molly rolls the window down. Her dark, curly hair is thrown back in a messy bun and there are identical dark circles under her eyes, but there's an undeniable happiness in her eyes, the same happiness that is in Vera's eyes. I wish Vera were here, but she was napping when Erika texted me and told me that I had to go out to the local mall with her and Gil.

"Have fun," Molly says, smiling up at me. I slide my phone into my pocket, slinging my purse over my shoulder. I'm hoping a headache won't appear tonight. One usually comes whenever I hang out with my friends. If it does, though, I'm prepared with my medicine and a small bottle of water that could fit in my purse. "Are you sure you want to walk home after this?"

"Yeah," I say, waving a hand through the warm afternoon air. Her eyes dim at my statement, and I know that she's thinking about all the villains and bad guys and creeps here in town. What she doesn't know is that I have Kid Danger on speed dial, so I'm safer than I used to be. I know Henry would come and save me if someone tried to hurt me. "Don't worry about me. I'm tough." I flex my arms, and she bursts out laughing. "Hey!"

"No offense, but you're tiny." 

My heart skips a beat at her words. She's always used that against me, even when we were younger. Now, the Freakazoid uses it against me, too, because she's taller than me as well. I don't really like it much at all, but I know for a fact that I'm done growing. I don't like it one bit. My size doesn't determine anything about me. 

I force a tiny smile onto my face as I say, "Tiny but mighty!"

"Keep dreaming." She grins at me, and I try not to show her how her words affect me. I'm not that offended because I know I'm short, but I feel like I am mighty in my own way. I do have an RBF, curtesy of my dad's mother. Henry has told me multiple times that it's super intense when I'm angry. "I'll see you later. Have a great night. Love you."

"Love you, too."

I step away from her car and wave at her. She waves back, and then I spin on my heel, heading toward the strip mall. Erika told me that she's already outside the candy store, which is funny because she's on a no sugar diet. It's like she's always putting herself in the way of temptation. I don't understand how or why she does that to herself. I would never understand why she would do that to herself. 

Checking both ways, I quickly cross the street. I told Molly to park closer to the store, but she wanted to park in the parking lot instead of on the street. It doesn't matter, I guess, because I make it safely across the street. I spot the store and see two fuzzy figures standing in front of it. Squinting through my glasses, I can tell that the two people are Erika and Gil. Good. That means that I won't have to find them in the crowds of people, though there aren't that many people out right now.

Picking up my speed, I make it to the shop. Erika is peering in the windows like the little creep that she is, and Gil is holding her hand. I snicker to myself at the sight of the two of them. This is the smallest amount of PDA they've ever shown. When they first got together, I told myself that I never wanted to be in a relationship where PDA was the most important thing. It's really weird seeing couples making out with each other in the hallways at school, and I never want to be in that situation. There's no need to be down each other's throats in front of other people. I guess I would rather have an emotional connection than a physical one that fizzles out quickly.