9: LOVE SOCIAL MEDIA

Erika and Gil are talking together in the backseat of my car about random things that I can barely hear over the sound of the wind blowing through my hair from the open windows and the music that Fiona's blasting through the speakers of the car

Erika and Gil are talking together in the backseat of my car about random things that I can barely hear over the sound of the wind blowing through my hair from the open windows and the music that Fiona's blasting through the speakers of the car. The couple is sitting right next to each other, leaning into each other's sides, sharing a set of headphones, watching something that only they know. They obviously don't like the rock and screamo music Fiona's playing. I don't mind it because it helps drown out my thoughts about how much I don't want to do this job.

"Why did you ask me to come?" Fiona suddenly asks me, speaking over the sound of the music and wind. I reach out and turn down the music a little bit to hear her better and then glance through the rearview mirrors. There isn't anyone on the road right now, which is a good thing. I've been spacing out the entire time I've been in the car. "Is it because of Thing One and Thing Two back there?"

I choke on my spit, trying my hardest not to laugh. She's dead on about Erika and Gil, though I don't admit that to her. I don't want them to hear me making fun of them because I know Erika will get mad at me, and I don't want to be on Erika's bad side. "No, it's not because of them," I tell her, throwing a glance at her. She's looking at me through her dark fake lashes, her eyes boring into mine. I know she can see right through me. "I just wanted to hang out with my little sister today."

"I'm glad we're going to the Museum of Boring History because I know for sure that none of my classmates will be there to see me with you."

"Thanks, Freakazoid. I feel the love."

"Same."

We both grow silent again. That's our whole relationship. We hardly ever speak to each other, and when we do, it's usually fighting or slight digs. It seems like we can't have one nice conversation, which kind of makes me sad. I think Fiona is a cool person, but we're just too similar in the ways that make us fight. We used to have Molly to help separate us before things got too bad, but she's obviously busy with her own life now. She doesn't have a lot of time for us anymore.

I take a right at a green light, getting closer and closer to the museum. The scenery changes from the city backdrop to trees and fields guiding our way, which means I'm on the right route since it's out in the country. There's barely anything that goes on down here on this side of Swellview, besides this museum and all the farms that pop up in between the fields, so that's probably why the Museum of Boring History doesn't get a lot of visitors. That and how boring everything is.

Every fiber of my being is dreading to go to that museum, but it's my job. I do have another job, one that I'm liking better already, and Henry texted me earlier saying that Captain Man and Kid Danger were fighting a random criminal, but I had to tell him that I couldn't go. I'd rather photograph the senseless fighting that goes on between Swellview's superheroes and the villains instead of taking photos of a boring museum full of boring artifacts and exhibits about boring history. I couldn't back out of going to this museum, though. Erika and Gil rely on me to get them there since neither of them can drive. It was already planned by Erika.