4: KID DANGER LOVE ACCOUNT?

Lunch rush is upon the school, which can either be a good or bad thing

Lunch rush is upon the school, which can either be a good or bad thing. It's a good thing if you want to get lost in the crowd, trying to get away from your friends. It's a bad thing if you want to get trampled by people around your age just because they want to be the first one's in the cafeteria. Today, the lunch rush is both a good and bad thing for me. 

You see, Henry approached me earlier this morning, telling me he wanted to set up his Kid Danger social media account. I suggested that we get together over lunch, and he agreed. My friends then interrupted our conversation, and Erika was giving me an angry glare, so I sent Henry on his way. That's why I'm trying to ditch Erika and Gil before meeting up with Henry. Unfortunately for me, they're good followers. 

"Laurel, why are you running?" Erika says over the chatter of our classmates. I glance to my right to see her gripping her things to her chest, a winded look on her face. Gil is close behind her, wearing a matching tired look on his face. "Can we slow down?"

I let out a sigh, nodding once. I wish I could get lost in the crowd without them, but my luck isn't that good right now. Slowing my pace, I allow Erika and Gil to fall into step with me. "Better?"

"Much."

Gil gives me a pointed look, his dark brown eyes boring into mine. He's always been that intense, even when he's not meaning to be. I thought he was the weirdest kid when he first joined our little group, and honestly, I still think he's really weird. Apparently, Erika likes weird guys because they've been dating for a few months now. "You didn't answer Erika's question. Why were you basically running?"

Normally, I don't lie to my friends all the time, but lately, it's been happening more often. It's not like I like it, either. I don't want to hurt their feelings or continually lie to them, but now there's something that I actually do have to keep a secret from them. There's a part of me that doesn't mind them not knowing about Kid Danger's identity, though. My friends and I have been sharing our museum job for a few years now, so this new secret is only for me. Besides, Henry asked me to keep it a secret from everyone. I can't turn on him now.

"I'm hungry." I shrug slightly, trying to play it off like it's an everyday thing. Grabbing my backpack straps, I look at Erika when I say, "You know I'm hungry every day, especially for lunch."

"Laurel, you hate school lunches," Gil says. He points to my lunchbox attached to my backpack, raising an eyebrow when I glance back up at him. "I know you like to eat, but you're never this fast. What's really going on?"

I stare at Gil and Erika, wishing that Jenny was still here with us. When we first started our little business, there were four people in our group, Gil, Erika, me, and Jenny. Jenny had been my friend since we first started school together in kindergarten, but she had to move to Bordertown recently, leaving me with Gil and Erika. On top of that, we haven't contacted each other since she left, which really makes me feel so loved. If Jenny were here, she would know that I don't want to talk to them anymore and would guide them away without me having to ask her. However, she isn't here, so I have to lie to them.