III: Call Me

"Those ones!"

"Hm? These?" Mandalay asked with her right hand pointing at a single red shoe that was just above her head on a display. Right beside her on the left was Kota whose hand was practically pointing straight up due to how short he is compared to the display, so to compensate he had to hop up and point in unison. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah! I want those!" He replied. "Those are the same ones he was wearing."

"And you really want the same shoes as him Kota?"

"Auntieeee."

"Okay, okay. If this is what you want then so be it. Sit right there on the bench and wait for me I'm going to ask an employee to bring a pair up."

Kota hopped his way onto a nearby metallic bench and picked up a sheet of colored paper with pencil as Mandalay herself looked around for somebody to assist her. Fortunately there were barely any patrons in the store which meant there was no trouble in finding an employee to help her with the shoes. One such employee was located on the other side to which Mandalay pointed out the shoe type, gave the desired size and thanked the employee before they disappeared into a back room to search for the shoe. As for the Pussycat she wandered back over to the area where her nephew had plopped himself down, taking her seat beside him and looking at his current work in progress.

Obviously due to his young age and lack of art skills his drawing isn't exactly something that could be placed in a museum, if it was then it had to be some kind of joke. But it didn't take much for somebody to recognize the very messy and very jumbled up collection of colors that were an attempt to formulate a human. More specifically the human in question that Kota wants to have the same shoes as. Mandalay hummed and fixed an awkward kink at the back of his hat before commenting on said drawing. "You wanna send him a drawing too? You already sent him a letter."

"Mmm, I don't know." The boy replied. "I'm not really that good at drawing, it's really ugly. Maybe I shouldn't send it."

"Hey you never know Kota, wouldn't it be nice to send him what you made? Even if it's not something perfect I'm sure he'd be really grateful that you took the time out of your day to make him something like this. Do you remember when all those little kids would be sending us pictures of what they drew? It's like that."

"Maybe if I color it it'd be better but I don't know. I think I messed up too much and made him too small."

"Practice makes perfect. Regardless of how it turns out as long as you're proud of what you made then he'll be glad you created it. It will really mean a lot to him."

*BZZZT*

The vibration of her phone came from a dark brown purse that was beside her on the right, easily slipping the same side hand inside and retrieving the device. Mandalay crossed her legs and held the phone up to her ear. "Hello?"

"Yo!" The voice of Pixie-Bob called. "You guys doing okay? You've been out for a while."

"Yeah sorry, we kinda got a little carried away with some other places but we should be finishing up pretty quickly. Something wrong?"

"Nah, everything's cool over here, just wanted to call and make sure you didn't get catnapped and kittynapped in the city. That would be the worse."

"Well it definitely wouldn't be the most pleasant of experiences that's for certain. How is she?"

"She's, I mean....she's still pretty quiet. Aside from getting something like food or water Shiretoko's ignoring us. We've invited her to come see a movie in the living room heck even Chatora offered to make her favorite foods but, nothing's worked so far. Just the same cycle of coming out to the kitchen and going back to the room."