VIII: Old Friend

"UGHHHHHHH!" Midoriya groaned with body slumping back into his chair, tossing the pencil from his hand onto a blank sheet of paper. A frustrated sputter of his lips accompanied by a hand rummaging through his hair gave it all away that he was irritated with the task at hand. Not exactly how he was planning the first half of his Saturday to go but at the same time, he couldn't leave this task unfinished.

Alone in the comfort of his dorm room with the TV playing an old broadcast of an All Might documentary, Midoriya's brain struggled and ached to even get a single gear to click and continue moving. An hour ago the student had forced himself to sit down and begin working on something that so far has turned out to be far more of a tedious effort than he anticipated it to be. Every attempt it's been pencil on paper, freeze, pull back to think. Pencil on paper, freeze, groan, pull back to think. Pencil on paper, freeze, groan, pull back to think. Pencil on the paper, freeze, groan yet again, pull back to think. Everybody together now.

Pencil on paper.

Freeze.

Groan.

Pull back to think.

And that's how somebody writes a letter to their mother.

This wasn't supposed to be difficult. Those six words were the same grouping of words that he constantly kept telling to himself each time he went back in for another attempt. This was supposed to be something simple, something that he could easily replicate on a text message and yet here he was. Sitting at his desk trying to figure out what he should put onto this ridiculous sheet of paper looking up at him. It's as if the blasted sheet was mocking him, ridiculing Midoriya for not being able to put down something, ANYTHING else that what he already has. Because while he's struggled to write down his thoughts it's not like this has been without product.

Currently on the sheet of paper there were a few words that he managed to come up with after half an hour of deliberating to himself, but now he doesn't know what else to put after those words. It's the frustration of second guessing himself that's getting the better of him and any longer he might generate enough stress to completely dwarf what Aizawa might produce when dealing with his students. He figured the reason it was so hard for him to come up with anything was due to the fact that his relationship with his mother is more rickety than an old bridge over a canyon. It was just barely there, barely being able to keep it's strength and allow for something to pass through.

He would like some help on the matter but didn't want to bother any of his classmates or friends about thus. Primarily due to not wanting to bring any of them into a personal issue between he and his mom. He figured something like a communication issue between the two of them would show up at some point but showing up at a time in writing a flimsy stupid letter? Strange time as ever.

Tapping the eraser of his pencil against the paper Midoriya sighed, his posture slumped and giving off the impression of wanting to throw in the towel. Honestly he had intended on throwing in said towel around half an hour ago but for some reason he forced himself to keep his butt planted on that chair. What a great decision that was. Rubbing the side of his neck he didn't really see any way that he would be able to concoct some sort of content for the letter right now, that was until, his eyes absent-mindedly glanced to the right and spotted his phone leaning on a stack of textbooks.

"....noooooo." He said to himself while straightening his posture back out. "She wouldn't.....would she?"

Currently it was a high noon on Saturday, so it's not like she in question wasn't available. However, she would be a tremendous amount of help if she were able to give advice on how to go about doing something like this. The main problem here was that he didn't want to bother her especially considering that it was noon on a Saturday which meant more than likely they were either out and about or doing something important. Or probably a combination of both. Thinking about it he really didn't have any other options to look for help, and as close as he is with All Might as the next wielder of One For All his metaphorical 'saving grace' was somebody who definitely had a lot more experience in this field.