Chapter 17

Chapter 17
~ Countless apologies but nothing forgiven ~

Her chest heaved with every heavy breath she took. Her mouth was left agape and mind empty. She didn't know what to say.

'Yeahh I'm sorry. I was looking for you and I accidentally-not so accidentally read the personal letter that was intended for you and only you and as naive as it sounds, I think your dad is a nice man and you should give him another chance'

That was her mind trying to make light of the grave situation.

"I- I"

Anna fumbled with her fingers and looked at the floor, which had all of a sudden become so interesting.

He grabbed the letter and furiously shoved it back in the envelope. The thought of Anna having anything to do with his father set flames in his veins; she had read the letter, the fucking letter.

"Did you read this?"

She nodded. There would be no use trying to lie to him now. Even a fool would know what she had done and Eli, he was far from a fool.

"I-I'm sorry, I was just looking for you and then I saw how cluttered the table was, I thought I would help out-

"I already told you I didn't need your help. Didn't you understand that?" His tone was short and clipped. His eyes kept glancing to the letter and her, he could only imagine what she had read.

"I know, I-I'm sorry. I don't know why I read that"

Elias sighed softly pinching the bridge of his nose. He was furious, if she were anyone else, she wouldn't even be standing right now.

Anna looked at him desperately. She could tell he was mad but he wasn't necessarily giving her anything to work with.

"Eli?"

"It's okay, just go"

Her eyes welled up with tears at his words. Her heart split into two. True he hadn't said anything harsh to her but the weight in which he had spoke, the emotions in his voice, they conveyed that he was anything but happy.

"I'm r-really sorry, I didn't-"

"I said just go, Anna. Now."

Her heart broke once more, but she didn't say anything as she wiped away the tear that had escaped and walked out the door of his study.

~

Anna had a deadly grip on her pencil. It was hard to concentrate on what the teacher was saying when she had the incident from the morning on her mind.

Eli was so angry. She saw it in his eyes, he was furious with her, and she had no idea how to fix things.

Shortly after she had left his study, she went upstairs and took a shower. They drove to school together in silence but that was it; Anna hadn't seen him since.

She tried not to cry as she replayed the morning events over and over in her mind. Her conscience screamed at her and her stupidity. She didn't know why she opened that letter. It was so stupid.

She turned to her side and for the first time noticed that her seating partner was staring at her intensely.

She gave Jules a smile and got back to her destructive thoughts. Although it looked like Jules had no intention of keeping quiet, she lightly tapped Anna on her arm and supported her face with her palm as her elbow leant against their desk.

"You okay?"

Her robotic response was going to be yes. It was what she always said when anyone asked her that question but today, she paused.